The primary scope of this position is to plan and implement high-quality early education and child development services to Early Head Start (EHS) children including children with disabilities. This position is responsible for the implementation of the Head Start Performance Standards and all other regulatory requirements for their assigned classroom.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES - Head Start Performance Standard 1302.30 Purpose:
- Demonstrate knowledge of Gulf Coast Community Services Association (GCCSA) mission, goals, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Head Start’s Performance Standards, Early Learning Outcomes and other regulatory requirements.
- Communicate and collaborate with Child Development Specialists and all content area staff to implement services that meet the needs of children and families assigned to their classroom.
- Communicate and collaborate with teaching staff, substitutes and volunteers to implement services that meet the needs of children and their families assigned to their respective classrooms.
- Provide leadership and direction to Teacher Assistants and/or Teacher Aides assigned to their classroom.
- Ensure required tasks and supporting documentation are completed timely and accurately including but not limited to home visits, developmental screeners, parent conferences, assessments and anecdotal notes.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.
Teaching and Learning Environment - Head Start Performance Standard 1302.31
- Demonstrate responsive care, effective teaching practices, including the implementation of positive strategies to support children’s well-being, and prevent and address challenging behaviors.
- Ensure children’s health and safety are in accordance with all regulations.
- Set up and implement a well-organized classroom that is developmentally appropriate and inviting for infants and toddlers.
- Safeguard the equipment and materials assigned to classrooms to ensure adequate supplies are available for all children.
Curriculum and Assessment - Head Start Performance Standard 1302.32 Curricula and 1302.33 Child Screenings and Assessment
- Develop and implement weekly lesson plans that include planned and appropriate activities that align with the developmental progressions described in the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework and are based on relevant child assessment data.
- Assess infants and toddlers assigned to their classroom and demonstrate their knowledge, developmental stages, individual differences and cultural background.
Parent and Family Engagement - Head Start Performance Standard 1302.34 Parent and Family Engagement in Education and Child Development Services:
- Communicate and collaborate with parents to engage them in their child (ren)’s learning.
- Conduct at least two home visits and at least two parent-teacher conferences per family per program year.
Training and Professional Development - Head Start Performance Standard 1302.92:
- Demonstrate on-going personal and professional growth and development to meet program and regulatory requirements.
- Participate in coaching opportunities, including observation and feedback sessions.
Essential traits for this position are as follows:
- Must be a self-starter.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with team members and management.
- Must be results oriented.
- Must have superior organizational and time management skills.
- Must be able to work independently or on teams in challenging work atmosphere.
- Must have an exceptional aptitude for attention to detail.
- Must be able to prioritize and balance multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Must be able to plan and complete tasks and assignments on-schedule with minimal supervision using appropriate judgment.
- Must be able to exercise appropriate judgment, discretion, maintain the confidentiality of all Gulf Coast Community Services Association (GCCSA) stakeholders.
- Must be able to contribute to building a positive team spirit; put success of team above own interests; support everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Must be able to show respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promote a harassment-free environment.
- Must be able to treat people with respect and dignity; work with integrity and ethically uphold the Agency's mission and values.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree required, emphasis in Early Childhood Education/Child Development Preferred or at least 18 credits in Early Childhood Education. Six (6) months in a similar position working with infants and toddlers. General Education Development and able to supervise and interact with a group of 4-8 infants and toddlers.
Must have the ability to read and comprehend intermediate to complex instructions.
Able to write concise, logical and grammatically correct written communication and the ability to write simple and clear correspondence. Excellent oral and written communication skills are necessary to interact with all levels of management, colleagues and staff to ensure consistency and proper procedure implementation.
Basic math skills required.
Must be able to work in a computerized environment and have intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications including but not limited to: Windows, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point and MS Access.
Must be able to provide reliable transportation.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described her are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may regularly be required to talk, hear, sit, walk, stand and use hands while interacting with fellow employees. The employee must be able to lift from the floor up to 50 pounds, reach overhead and to the floor.
The work environment is that which is typical of a classroom setting. The noise level in the environment is usually very loud and noisy.