Coordinator (m/f/d) for the Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA)
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
11/01/2019 - 07/31/2021
Type of employment:
Only 38% of the African population has access to electricity, less than 10% is connected to the internet and only 25% of Africa’s road network is paved. To address these deficits, the African Heads of State and Government adopted the Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA) in January 2012 as the strategic infrastructure framework on the continent. PIDA covers four (4) sectors namely: transport, energy, information and communication technologies (ICT) and transboundary water. The GIZ “Support-to-PIDA”-Program supports the AUC and the AUDA-NEPAD with the promotion of regional infrastructure development by designing an integrated, employment-oriented and gender-sensitive corridor approach as the conceptual basis for future infrastructure development; by supporting a consultative and systematic process to define African infrastructure priorities in the PIDA-PAP 2; by attracting private sector resources for African infrastructure development; and by improving the quality of (early-stage) project preparation.
- Act as central PIDA focal person to coordinate on PIDA/multi-sectoral infrastructure matters with key stakeholders
- Facilitate the highlevel political process of the development of the PIDAPAP 2 to agree upon Africa`s infrastructure priorities of the next decade
- Advise AUC on improved development of regional infrastructure on the continent and conduct respective actions to implement recommendations
- Coordinate PIDA communication activities to increase visibility and awareness on infrastructure/PIDA matters and projects
- Facilitate AU Member States and partner coordination around PIDA and regional infrastructure matters
- Provide policy and regulatory recommendations that will facilitate the implementation of PIDA projects
- Prepare and manage related PIDA consultancies
- Support AUC with PIDA Project Management-related activities
- Follow-up and report on implementation of joint AUCAUDA-NEPAD-GIZ objectives with respect to PIDA
- At least a Masters’ Degree in infrastructure economics, engineering in one of the four PIDA sectors or another relevant academic field
- Many Years of work experience in infrastructure development in Africa and stakeholders engagement, work experience in financing infrastructure projects as an advantage; Several years of managerial or supervisorial levels
- Proven track record of the coordination/facilitation of high-level political processes on the African continent
- Several years of work experience in international organizations; work experience within AU institutions is a clear advantage
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, internet research, social media, other digital tools)
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Fluent in English and French
The duty station of the employee will be the Headquarters of the AUC in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which is also siege of the GIZ Office to the African Union. - Addis Ababa is located at an altitude of 2.300 m with a subtropical highland climate. The "African Capital", as Addis Ababa is called, does not only host the AU-Headquarters but also a lot of embassies, the UNECA headquarters and other international institutions and hence offers a vibrant and multinational working and living environment. The Ethiopian capital has rather low crime rates. International schools are available. Health care facilities are below international standards.- More information on PIDA can be found on www.au-pida.org.
The security situation requires increased alertness. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site. All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
The employee will be embedded to AUC and will report to the AUC Director of Infrastructure and Energy as well as the project manager of the GIZ-PIDA Support project.The employee will be required to travel regularly within and outside the African continent.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments
+49 (0) 6196 79 3200