- A privately-owned progressive, ever-growing paperless ophthalmology practice offering comprehensive evaluations, advanced diagnostics and both medical and surgical therapies for our patients.
- Our services include a wide range of integrative therapies, mixing Eastern and Western medical recommendations for our patients and also promoting general ocular wellness with food therapy based on Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM).
- Our mission is to create a balanced and preventative ocular health care plan based on a thorough ophthalmic examination and recognition of each patient as a whole and unique individual.
An eclectic mix of individuals who work well together despite our various differences. We have staff members that have different tastes in music from Alt Rock, Salsa, and French jazz to Chill-Hop, Hootie & The Blowfish and Frank Sinatra. We enjoy guessing movie quotes and about various astrology signs. All of our staff members have different hobbies, talents and passions ranging from Harry Potter Lovers, Disneyland Passholders, Music Enthusiasts, and Sports Fans (from Fútbol to Football), and Plant Aficionados .
If you feel like you’d fit in well, keep reading...
JOB DESCRIPTION: This is not the typical technician position (i.e. "in the back", performing treatments on hospitalized pets, minimal client interactions, etc.) Our ophthalmic veterinary technicians are responsible for a variety of clinical and diagnostic tasks, but also many client oriented and computer tasks.
Clinical and Diagnostic Work
- Performing Schirmer Tear Tests and checking Intraocular Pressures for every appointment
- Running their own Single Diagnostic Appointments for returning patients
- Holding for Ocular Exams and Minor Procedures using Topical Anesthesia
- Performing Blood draws for various Panels to be sent to outside labs
- Performing Electroretinograms for suspected SARDS cases or as Pre-Cataract Surgery Diagnostics
- Placing IV catheters for impromptu sedation or surgical cases.
- Preparing and Administering IV, SQ, and IM injections
- Monitoring anesthesia for surgeries ranging from 1 to 3 hours (Experience with intubation is a HUGE PLUS)
- Sterilizing equipment, wrapping packs, set up and break down of our Operating Room and Equipment
The ideal candidate MUST have extensive monitoring patients under anesthesia - obtaining patient’s vitals and handling any possible anesthetic complications or emergencies.
Client and Computer Work
- Invoicing during appointments using eVet Practice Software
- Creating and discussing Treatment Plans and Discharge Instructions
- Occasionally facilitating medication refills (when warranted)
- Answering Phone Calls and Discussing Patient Conditions, Medications, or Procedures
- Follow Up Calls to Obtain Patient Updates and Discuss Client Concerns
- Making Surgical or Procedural Estimates
- Completing Written Records for Appointments
Our hospital is fast-paced so it is important that our staff is efficient with computer programs shortcuts, both for HPs and Macs, and that they are familiar with Microsoft Office programs.
SHIFTS: Normal Clinic Hours are...
- 10 am - 5 pm Mondays / Thursdays
- 8 am - 3 pm Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays
Hours and shifts are subject to change however we do our best to provide a minimum of two weeks notice for schedule variances. The earliest shift would start no earlier than 7 am and the last end would be no later than 6 pm - unless agreed upon by both manager and employee. Every employee is required to work one Saturday per quarter but aside from that weekend and after-hours availability is preferred in case of emergency surgeries or remote work, but not required.
A FEW PERSONALITY MUSTS: The ideal candidate should…
- Have strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Have strong mental reasoning and mathematical skills
- Be a hard worker and willing to help others
- Be efficient and organized to complete tasks quickly and correctly
- Have a willingness to learn, be guided and pursue continuing education when the opportunity arises
- Be professional and have both great vocabulary skills and impeccable grammar
- Be honest, accountable, timely and easygoing
- Enjoy working as a team
- Be confident in themselves and their work and be willing to accept constructive criticism
- Be the calm in the storm that is "Pet Parent Anxiety"
OFFICIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION:
- No less than 1 CONSECUTIVE YEAR of consistent experience placing IV catheters, performing blood draws, and monitoring anesthesia (without supervisory assistance) for surgery. (Experience with intubating is a HUGE PLUS.) **Licensed (RVT, CVT, LVT, and Veterinary Technologists) must have 1 year clinical experience post accreditation/graduation.
- Must Speak and Write in English fluently, using proper grammar and spelling. (Speaking Spanish, Korean or any other language is a plus but not required.)
- Type a minimum of 40+ WPM with no errors.
- Can show proper safety and restraint techniques for both cats and dogs, fractious or otherwise. (Ability to be confident with people too, fractious or otherwise, is BIG plus)
- Possess sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform duties while in the hospital including the ability to manipulate (lift, carry, move) 40 lbs (or more with assistance), squat, kneel, crouch and stand intermittently or for long periods of time.
$18 to $25/hour - Compensation is commensurate with experience, skillset and credentials. Please note: Our higher end rate is generally reserved for RVTs and those with previous ophthalmology experience.
Related keywords: veterinary technician, animal, veterinary, veterinary assistant, vet tech
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 - $25.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Professional development assistance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
We are still curbside and have limited physical client interaction. We have masks readily available for all staff as well as protective eyewear and hand washing stations.
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- Los Angeles, CA 90036 (Preferred)
- What STARTING pay rate are you seeking? (Advertised range is $18 to $25)
Please note: Our higher end pay rate is generally reserved for experienced RVTs with previous ophthalmology employment.
- How much experience do you have monitoring anesthesia, placing IV catheters and performing blood draws? BONUS: Do you have experience intubating and obtaining a doppler blood pressure?
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Veterinary Technician: 1 year (Required)
- Veterinary Technician Certification (RVT, LVT, CVT) (Preferred)
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place