Supervises and manages the activities and staff of the accounting work unit; monitors accounting activities, assures the proper recording of transactions, and assures compliance with accounting rules and regulations and Department goals and objectives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
Education and Experience:
- Manages the staff and operations of the accounting work unit; analyzes accounting processes and internal controls, identifies and resolves problems, and recommends operational, procedural, and technical improvements.
- Manages the activities of accounting staff through appropriate delegation, technical skills training, and work supervision; monitors work, develops staff skills, and evaluates performance; meets regularly with staff to discuss and resolve workload and technical issues.
- Ensure the month end and year end closing processes are completed in adherence to deadlines
- Review and reconcile the general ledger
- Manages accounting activities and services including general ledger, accounts payable & receivable, revenue, cash management, debt & investments, financial reporting and payroll.
- Assures the integrity of the financial processes and procedures to meet compliance regulations and safeguard City assets.
- Promotes a positive work environment and encourages teamwork to accomplish results
- Communicates effectively both in written and oral modes
- Adheres to strict confidentiality of information.
- Monitors, reviews and approves daily, weekly, monthly and annual financial and budget activities.
- Guides other departments by researching and interpreting accounting policy; applies observations and recommendations to operational issues.
- Coordinates work with auditors in the preparation of financial analyses and annual reports; directs the preparation of the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR); collects financial and administrative information and compiles data for financial statements and reports to accurately reflect the City’s financial conditions.
- Reviews and approves financial and accounting records; reconciles transactions and financial activities according to policies; corrects errors, and reconciles and resolves differences.
- Assures the accuracy, timeliness and quality of the financial activities and work products; monitors all document preparation for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with Federal, state, and local policies and practices.
- Assists in the development and implementation of Finance policies and procedures
- Manages special projects as directed; interprets and explains accounting rules and regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required; Five (5) year’s accounting work experience, including three (3) year’s work experience in the public sector.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Required Knowledge of:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
- Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO) preferred
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License.
Required Skill in:
- City organization, operations, policies and procedures.
- Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), and Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) standards, recommended practices and policies, rules and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Generally Accepted Auditing Principles related to Public Sector financial management.
- Principles and practices of cost accounting, budgeting and strategic planning.
- Principles and practices of administrative management, including personnel rules, cost accounting, budgeting, and employee supervision.
- Federal and state special fund accounting regulations, procedures, and accountability standards.
- Legal, ethical and professional rules of conduct for finance officers.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
- Analyzing financial issues, evaluating alternatives, and making decisions based on findings.
- Understanding and applying accounting standards and procedures, internal controls, and applicable Federal and state rules and regulations.
- Analyzing and interpreting financial documents, and reviewing financial reports.
- Reviewing and verifying mathematical calculations, maintaining accurate accounting records, and identifying and reconciling errors.
- Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, officials, and representatives from other local, state and Federal agencies.
- Supervising and leading staff, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- NOTE: This position is designated safety and/or security sensitive.
- GENERAL PURPOSE: Supervises and manages the activities and staff of the accounting work unit; monitors accounting activities, assures the proper recording of transactions, and assures compliance with accounting rules and regulations and Department goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Five (5) year’s accounting work experience, including three (3) year’s work experience in the public sector.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO) preferred.
- Valid Texas driver's license required
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Dental Insurance
- Employer-Paid Accidental Death Insurance
- Employer-Paid Dismemberment Insurance
- Employer-Paid Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Medical Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Deferred Compensation Programs
- Texas Municipal Retirement System
- Military Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Leave