UTEC’s Transitional Coaches (TCs) provide critical support and services to young adults in UTEC’s Workforce Development Program (WFD). They encourage young adults to persist in programming and help them address barriers to attendance and success. They are a critical figure in a young adult’s UTEC experience and life. A TC’s work involves meeting with young adults to co-identify strengths, assets, supports, challenges and barriers. A TC and young adult co-create service plans and goals to help them achieve short-term and long-term success. TC’s closely work with WFD Program Managers, UTEC’s mental health and substance abuse counselors, and educators. They help young adults manage a web of external social supports. The formal relationship between a TC and young adult may last an indefinite amount of time. Above all else, a Transitional Coach identifies as a passionate and relentless youth worker. A TC views their work as more than just a job. They are driven by love, social justice, and a belief in human potential. They enjoy working with young adults on hard-to-solve problems. They don’t give up on young adults who often times have been forgotten by others. This position reports to the Director of Youth Promise.
Responsibilities and Outcomes
· Manage a caseload of proven risk young men and women with various risk factors
· Contact each young adult at least once a week
· Have at least four significant contacts (i.e., at least 30 minutes face-to-face) each month with each young adult; young adults who are new to a TC’s caseload should have at least 2 significant contacts a week
· Document all assessment, service plan data and contacts in Efforts to Outcomes (ETO), UTEC’s performance measurement software
· Provide wraparound services to address challenges a young adult is facing
· Address barriers to young adult’s daily attendance in programming
· Closely work with the young adult’s designated program staff to monitor their performance, strengths and challenges.
· Help young adults navigate social services, legal institutions and other agencies that have a direct impact on them
· Provide emergency assistance and crisis intervention to young adults
· Provide assistance at UTEC events, field trips, and retreats
· Conduct regular surveys of young adults who are disengaged from the program
Qualifications and Competencies
· At least 2 years of youth development/case management experience with proven-risk youth
· Bachelor’s degree preferred; equivalent community experience will be considered
· Bilingual/bicultural preferred
· Must have a vehicle; reliable access to a vehicle is a job requirement
· Flexibility: Thrives in a collaborative and fast-paced environment; works hours as program and young adult’s needs arise
· Commitment: Genuinely cares about the young adult and UTEC’s success
· Relentless: Does not give up on young adult, proactively reaches out to them, can see them succeeding even when they cannot see it themselves, uses innovative methods to contact and develop relationships with young adults
· Controlled Response: Remains calm and objective when confronting defense-provoking situations; tolerates stress
· Relationship Builder: Values and nurtures relationships between self and young adult, self and community partners, self and colleagues
· Perspective Taking: Comfortable working in a diverse environment and considers divergent opinions
· Coachable: Open to feedback and personal and professional development
· Comfortable with New Technology: Learns new software quickly and uses it appropriately
· Curiosity: Seeks out data and information about young adult and one’s own work, monitors data, uses data to inform action
· Team Player: Upholds UTEC’s mission, values and vibe
· Drive: Hunger to do an excellent job and a passion to own one’s work
· Sense of Humor: Ability to laugh at oneself a must!
Salary commensurate with experience, 3 weeks vacation, paid holidays and sick/personal time, health and dental (up to 85% subsidized) and 401K.
How to Apply
Please email your thoughtful cover letter and resume. No calls, please. Not all applicants will receive a response.
Job Type: Full-time