- Restaurant Experience
- Data Management
Do you want to influence and build the data transformation of a growing Fortune 500 company? Over twenty years ago, CarMax disrupted the automotive industry and to this day remains the undisputed market leader in a $500B+ industry. With best-in-class information technology, operational excellence, customer satisfaction, and associate engagement, CarMax is well positioned for continued growth. CarMax is looking for a Solutions Architect to be part of a team responsible for the integration and refinement of operational data that enables data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence at CarMax.
About the CarMax Home Office
Located in Richmond, there is nothing else like living in Virginia's capital. It is the center of state government, a progressive urban centerpiece, and a unique historical gem all at once. You'll be able to experience one of the country's best cities for dining, shoot the rapids of the James River, ski the Blue Ridge mountains, enjoy the Atlantic coastline, and enjoy excellent culture, arts, schools, and living choices.
CarMax is committed to hiring innovative people with strong values of integrity, transparency and respect. We are also proud to be one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials and 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity. And thanks to our amazing associates, we have been recognized as one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For - 14 years in a row!
About the Roles & Responsibilities
Skills & Qualifications:
- Partners with business product owners to understand business requirements and use cases
- Produces technical and business solutions architectures (logical and physical)
- Resolve questions during design and implementation of architecture
- Partners with the BI/Data Enterprise Architecture and business teams in developing architecture roadmaps and providing input into the broader technology strategy / roadmap. This includes application rationalization, standardization of design patterns for data ingestion and consumption, and reporting.
- Partners with the BI/Data Enterprise Architecture team in developing guiding principles, and then ensure they are complied with at the project level. Ensures the architectural integrity, enterprise architectural alignment (where applicable and possible), design integrity and development process integrity of all projects. Including asset usage, tools and sources for information delivery, data retention policies.
- Partners with Master Data Management for consistent engagement with business on data quality, business rules and meta data.
- Evaluate tools for use case fit, perform vendor/tool comparisons and present recommendations
- Review schemas, data models and data architecture for Big Data and Teradata environments
- Prototype solutions for specific use cases
- Advise peers and business partners on fit-for-use and technical complexities
- Partner with other technical leaders for solution alignment with strategy and standards
- Partners with peer Architects and Technical Leads to develop design, coding and other technical standards and ensures adherence to the standards in the domain. This includes (but is not limited to) standardization of: current state documentation (views, level of detail, etc.); the content and level of detail of project documentation (CDD / TDD ); asset monitoring and health checks; PLT; estimation templates.
- Strong communication and presentation skills - both written and oral.
- Broad understanding of Data Architecture and Data Management approaches and implementation methodologies
- Must have good understanding of data warehouse methodologies including ETL testing, data integration, database testing and application performance tuning. Excellent knowledge/experience with SQL.
- 10+ years of demonstrated ability utilizing data warehouse design patterns and trends such as dimensional modeling, data vault, logical data warehouse and modern data warehouse.
- Demonstrated understanding of design best practices and operational requirements of data warehouse solutions such as sizing, scaling, fault tolerance, performance tuning, security etc.
- Experience with data security and data quality frameworks, processes and tools.
- Experience with cloud .Preferred experience with Microsoft Azure BI and Analytics Stack and related technologies.
- Demonstrated success mentoring team members.
- Experience with Agile management technique .
- Experience with visualization and reporting technologies
- 4 year degree in IT related course of study, preferred
Candidates must be legally authorized to work for any U.S. employer on a full-time basis. Sponsorship will be considered for this specific role.