Lead and participate in providing instruction to students regarding swimming practices, techniques and water safety; provide a variety of safety, lifeguard, training, oversight and other services in support of Natatorium operations and activities; train and provide work direction and guidance to assigned staff.
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and three years increasingly responsible lifeguard, swim instruction or related experience including work with school-age students. Must have strong leadership, organizational, and oral and written communication skills. Incumbents must possess knowledge of the methods, terminology, principles, practices, procedures, materials and equipment used in assigned field. Incumbents must possess a valid National Pool and Waterpark Lifeguard License. Must be certified in Water Safety Instruction through the American Red Cross.
1. Lead and participate in providing instruction to students regarding swimming, water exercise and water safety; explain, demonstrate and observe students performing various swimming practices, procedures, techniques and fundamentals; provide support in the implementation of an aquatic exercise program for all levels of patrons as assigned.
2. Oversee and participate in the development, implementation and presentation of swimming, water exercise, water safety and lifeguard lesson plans according to established standards; coordinate and oversee student drills, practices, exercises, games, conditioning and other swimming assignments.
3. Maintain a safe facility for staff and patrons by promoting, implementing and assuring compliance with established safety policies and procedures; assist in assuring facilities are maintained in a neat, clean and sanitary condition.
4. Provide lifeguard services and monitor swimming pool activities to maintain a safe, healthy and controlled environment for guests; observe Natatorium pool activities in accordance with established guidelines, policies and procedures.
5. Oversee, train and provide work direction and guidance to assigned personnel; assign employee duties and review work for compliance with established guidelines and procedures; prepare required employee documentation as directed.
6. Coordinate and provide instructional activities to assure safety of swimming activities; demonstrate, explain and assure student understanding of water safety rules, regulations, standards, procedures, practices, techniques and guidelines.
7. Enforce and assure guest compliance with pool use, diving board, lap swimming and other applicable rules, regulations and policies; respond to complaints from guests, staff and others; report incidents and guest behavior problems to appropriate authority.
8. Assist students with developing swimming and water safety skills and knowledge; provide individualized and small group instruction to assure swimming and safety instruction activities adapt with the needs of individual students.
9. Provide instruction and training activities to lifeguards; demonstrate and explain lifeguard practices, procedures, techniques, standards, guidelines, requirements, and related policies, rules and regulations.
10. Observe and control behavior of students and guests in the pool and surrounding area in accordance with approved policies and procedures; assure guests remain in authorized areas of pool.
11. Identify pool health and safety issues, threats and incidents; enter pool and swim to rescue and retrieve guests as needed; utilize rescue tube; inspect and assure proper operating condition of rescue equipment.
12. Provide general information and assistance to Natatorium students, staff, parents and others; respond to inquiries and provide information concerning Natatorium operations, activities, services, schedules, time lines, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
13. Assist students by answering questions, providing proper examples, emotional support, friendly attitude and general guidance.
14. Respond to emergency situations in accordance with established policies and procedures; administer first aid to guests as necessary.
15. Coordinate and oversee swim and dive meets; assure meet set-up and preparations are completed in a timely manner; oversee and participate in the preparation, set-up, operation and clean-up of pool facilities and equipment.
16. Perform daily locker room checks to assure safety, cleanliness and well-being of patrons.
17. Coordinate, arrange, monitor and follow-up on lifeguard training and in-services as directed.
18. Receive, wash, dry and organize lost-and-found items in accordance with established guidelines.
19. Participate in the recruitment and organization of patrons for community programming; provide related promotional and outreach services.
20. Coordinate and implement periodic dummy drags to test the Poseidon system; log and distribute test results; implement and document zone validation checks.
21. Maintain various records related to assigned activities.
22. Prepare themes and implement designs for community bulletin boards as required.
23. Assist with developing and updating the high school master meet calendar and related schedules.
24. Perform related duties as assigned by the Administrator to meet the particular needs of the building/unit.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to speak and hear. The employee is required to have dexterity of hands and fingers. The employee is required to sit and stand for extended periods of time. The employee must perform assigned duties which require bending, kneeling, twisting, and reaching overhead, above shoulders and horizontally. The employee will be required to push/pull, lift and carry up to 50 pounds on a regular basis. Must be able to swim at least 200 yards of freestyle/breaststroke without stopping, retrieve a 10-pound brick from the bottom of the diving well, and must be able to tread water continuously for at least 2 minutes.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $14.21 to $16.08 /hour