Position Summary: Oversees the daily operations of general accounting, contracts accounting, accounts payable, fixed asset accounting and control, and financial reporting. Ensures compliance with the Board of Education’s policies, district business policies and procedures, state and federal fiscal management laws and regulations, and generally accepted accounting standards. Develops and monitors districts’ internal control plan. The Director of Accounting oversees a team of ten employees and reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
Bachelor’s degree with accounting emphasis
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, etc:
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
More than 10 years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- Knowledge of financial recordkeeping procedures, laws, regulations, and standards.
- Ability to develop and implement effective fiscal/accounting policies and financial controls.
- Knowledge of federal regulation, law, and auditing requirements.
- Ability to plan, implement, and direct a varying range of accounting and associated information systems projects and initiatives.
- Knowledge of school district and/or public auditing policies, standards and procedures.
- Ability to evaluate and assess the financial viability and legality of contract, grant, and/or financial award arrangements.
- Knowledge of government financial reporting requirements and standards.
- Knowledge of district and audit requirements for the provision of financial information.
- Ability to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections.
- Experience coaching, developing and building collaborate high functioning teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the operations of general accounting, fixed asset accounting, construction accounting, financial reporting, and other duties assigned to this position, ensuring compliance with district policies and procedures as well as state and federal laws and regulations
- Manages, directs, and oversees special projects and assignments
- Directs development, maintenance, and execution of fiscal policies, accounting, and internal financial controls of the district.
- Oversees the preparation of financial statements and reports for internal and external use as well as for audit purposes
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives; recruits, employs, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff.
- Oversees the district’s external audits, implements corrections and improvements as required.
- Performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Represents the District to various government agencies, funding agencies, media, employees, and/or the general public/local community.
- Recommends and participates in the development of district policies and procedures, may serve on district planning and policy-making committees.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by Chief Financial Officer.
Working Conditions: Exposure to the following situations may range from rare to frequent based on circumstances and factors that may not be predictable.
Regular office environment, including frequent use of electronic email, being able to sit for long periods of time without a break, etc.
Tulsa Public Schools is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team of individuals who contribute to the district’s mission with their talent, skills and energy. Tulsa Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons because of age, race, color, creed, religion, disability, gender, ethnic or national origin, or veteran status. Tulsa Public Schools prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities and will reasonably accommodate applicants with a disability, upon request, and will also ensure reasonable accommodation for employees with disabilities.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $88,900.00 to $113,300.00 /year
- accounting: 10 years (Preferred)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) (Required)