As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally and medically vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine.
The UW is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please view this page.
The HMC After Care Clinic has an outstanding opportunity for a Patient Services Specialist 1-Trainee or PSS 2 (Part-Time, 90%, Day Shifts). The Patient Service Specialist (PSS) demonstrates service excellence standards in independently performing the following support services: reception and discharge activities; scheduling appointments; coordinating care with other services; checking-in patients; providing initial triage; coordinating the referral process; coordinating medical records; obtaining and verifying registration information; processing charge documents; collecting time-of-service payments; performing other necessary activities to maintain clinic operations.
Job Duties & Performance Standards
- Employ excellent customer service skills.
- Ensure smooth patient flow.
- Review clinic schedule daily.
- Obtain patient demographic information and insurance information.
- Provide general patient services.
- Respond to patients’ needs and concerns as appropriate. Investigate complaints and work with office manager to find solutions.
- May accept and process patient payments (co-pays, deposits, etc.)
- Schedule appointments consistent with patient needs and clinic scheduling guidelines.
- Assemble and send appointment and other information.
- Maintain current and accurate system by entering canceled and rescheduled appointments.
- Coordinate and schedule ancillary appointments and consult appointments.
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of provider and clinic schedules.
- Log on and answers the Avaya telephone in a professional, courteous, and efficient manner according to HMC telephone service standards; direct calls as appropriate.
- Using clinic guidelines, gather information on the telephone re: the nature of the patient concern. Triage calls to appropriate staff; obtain necessary information for the return call; initiate emergency procedure when necessary, use appropriate documentation tools.
- Adhere to clinic standard of returning patients calls within specified time frames
- Monitor Epic in-basket pools and respond to messages appropriately and in a timely manner
- Communicate information on medical center programs to patients, referral agencies, University departments, physicians and the community.
- Communicate basic information to patients such as insurance, parking, driving directions, etc.
- Manage referral queue.
- Obtain necessary insurance plan information.
- Maintain ongoing documentation and tracks authorized referrals.
- Ensure that all referrals are properly linked to appointments.
Medical Record Activities
- Review daily schedules to identify required medical record requests.
- Order, coordinate, and distribute medical records as needed.
- Prepare medical record according to clinic-specific procedures for patient visit.
- Assemble and maintain satellite medical records according to clinic specific procedures.
- Ensure patients registration and insurance information is accurate. Update and correct information as needed.
- Maintain responsibility of Accu-Reg and Epic Workqueues to ensure accuracy of patient registration.
- Assist in orientating and training new staff.
- Participate with clinic process improvement projects as appropriate.
- Review email daily to stay current with clinic communication.
- Maintain the physical environment for safety of staff and patients and for aesthetic presentation of the area (for example, organizing the waiting room furniture and magazine area.)
- Respond to facility and environmental emergencies according to established procedures.
- Inventory and order office supplies and forms.
- Sort and distribute faxes and mail on a daily basis.
- Ensures daily functioning of office equipment.
- Utilize on-line resources as required according to clinic practice and within University guidelines.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Patient Services Specialists are hired as either PSS 1-Trainee or PSS 2, depending on experience and qualifications. The requirements are:
- PATIENT SERVICES SPECIALISTS 1-TRAINEE REQUIREMENTS: High School graduation or equivalent AND one year of experience in a health care setting OR two years of general office experience OR equivalent education/experience.
- PATIENT SERVICES SPECIALISTS 2 REQUIREMENTS: High School graduation or equivalent AND one year of experience in a health care setting OR three years of general office or customer services experience OR equivalent education/experience.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.