We are one of California's largest dedicated cannabis industry law firms with offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Santa Rosa. We serve businesses and investors through our robust practices in regulatory compliance, corporate transactions, enforcement actions, business disputes, and brand protection/IP. Highly sought-after by premier industry players, policymakers, and the media, our attorneys are recognized as thought leaders in the cannabis industry, and provide insightful, proactive, and personalized representation to our clients. We are a dynamic and highly collaborative team that strives for excellence in every aspect of our work.
We are seeking a Tax Attorney for an Of Counsel position, and we are particularly interested in candidates with extensive experience working with large and small companies. The successful applicant will be a detail-oriented "people person" who values interpersonal relationships and providing a high caliber of legal services.
- Interacts with clients on a daily basis electronically, telephonically, and in person
- Direct large and small companies on business decisions, such as choice of entity, transactional considerations, and how to optimize supply chains, taking into consideration the company’s tax risk profile, global effective tax rate, and cash posture. In advising clients, the Tax Attorney will prepare and review complex tax models illustrating the company’s entities' attributes, effective tax rate, and cash tax expense
- Advise businesses on tax planning decisions, including helping our clients to anticipate and understand the potential short- and long-term considerations and consequences of tax planning decisions at a local, state, federal and multinational level, in the context of their wider business objectives while taking into consideration their tax risk profile, global effective tax rate, and cash posture.
- In collaboration with our corporate and regulatory colleagues, structure the tax aspects of financings, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, dispositions, and IPOs, along with drafting tax opinions, memos, structure decks, and Excel models (illustrating the tax benefits of alternative structures).
- Assist large and small enterprises with preparing the tax provision for its financial statements and preparing and/or reviewing compliance work product, as well as assisting client with potential audit by reviewing company's financial reporting of tax implications arising from its operations and transactions
- Advise clients on income tax planning opportunities arising from inbound and outbound cross-border investing and trading activities
- Working in the alternative investment space, providing aspects of all of the activities above to alternative investment companies, helping at all stages of the investment life cycle for both asset managers and portfolio companies operating globally.
- Pursues networking and marketing opportunities on behalf of Firm
- Assists/Guides other team members as needed in a collaborative atmosphere
- ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP IN THE CALIFORNIA STATE BAR IS REQUIRED
- Juris Doctorate(preference given to candidates from top tier institutions)
- Prior Big Law or Big 4 experience preferred
- Extensive experience with direct client interactions
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills, with a keen ability to interface with clients with a diverse background
- Ability to work matters with minimal supervision required
- A positive attitude and solution-oriented mindset
- Strong desire to be a direct contributor in a dynamic and collaborative work environment
- Technologically adept
We are an equal opportunity (M/F/V/D) employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $150.00 to $250.00 /hour