Job Title Public Health Educator (Part-Time)
Department Police and Public Safety
Bachelor’s degree in public health, public administration, biological sciences, health and human services, occupational safety, health, public safety, risk management, or a related field.
Two years of work or educational experience in public health, community health, allied health, health technologies, or public safety.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Operational knowledge of relevant public health resources for COVID-19 information (i.e., Centers for Disease Control (CDC), National Institutes of Health (NIH), North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS), etc.);
2. Ability to translate local and state COVID-19 response efforts, guidelines, and requirements in support of the College’s compliance efforts;
3. Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) appropriate for developing protocols, presentations, and educational materials for community use and understanding;
4. Strong technology and information literacy skills;
5. Proven sensitivity to the needs and expectations of students, faculty, staff, and the broader community;
6. Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and interpersonal relationships throughout the College; and,
7. Strong attention to detail for maintaining resources used to communicate COVID-19 response strategies and operations.
The Public Health Educator is primarily responsible for leading the College’s COVID-19 response efforts in developing procedures, protocols, workflows, and employee training consistent with The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), state, and local guidelines. Specific duties of the Public Health Educator include the following:
- Attend COVID-19 Response Team Operational Meetings and serve as the team’s resource for COVID-19 related public health and safety matters;
- Continuously assess, make recommendations to improve, and update the College’s transition planning and operational resources, workflows, protocols, processes, policies, and communication resources (e.g., signage, Q&A content, etc.);
- Monitor COVID-19 communication sources (i.e., email, voicemail, etc.) and respond to inquiries in a timely manner;
- Support COVID-19 contact tracing by notifying close contacts of their potential exposure and referring them to the CDC, state, or local guidelines for next steps;
- Maintain exposure data and outcomes;
- Assist with mitigating barriers and inequities pertaining to the College’s COVID-19 response efforts;
- Assist with tracking College expenses associated with COVID-19 response efforts;
- Assist with the development of reports requested by the state, FEMA, and other agencies with whom the College must maintain compliance;
- Support the College’s Marketing and Communications department by providing timely updates for the website and COVID-19 response pages; and,
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Staff or President.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
- Physical fitness to inspect various work settings;
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time;
- Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.;
- Sufficient visual acuity and manual dexterity to use a computer for long periods of time;
- Ability to express or exchange ideas through oral communication and to hear vocal responses within classroom range;
- Infrequent travel between buildings on campus, to other campuses, or locally or out-of-town to attend meetings.
Required Working Hours Twenty (20) hours per week, as determined with the supervisor to allow the employee to fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities, including some evening and weekend hours. Summer schedules may vary to enable four-day or four and one half-day work w
Hiring Range $27.00 -$31.00 an hour
Job Type Part Time Staff
Posting Number AS370P
Open Date 08/04/2020
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants