DEPARTMENT: Film & Conference Department
HIRE DATES: June 1, 2019 – December 1, 2019
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Film Department, Conference Department, Executive Department, Volunteer Coordinator, Theater Operations Manager, and Technical Support
COMPENSATION: $8,000/ contract
The Austin Film Festival furthers the art and craft of filmmaking by inspiring and championing the work of screenwriters, filmmakers, and all artists who use the language of film and television to tell a story.
While working for this critically recognized organization, applicants are expected to be able to work efficiently and professionally in a fast paced, team-oriented production environment. In such an environment, the ability to work well under pressure, excellent communication skills and intense organizational skills are a must.
OVERALL JOB DESCRIPTION:
To manage and coordinate all aspects of film exhibition and venue logistics, including digital technology, projection, shipping, contacting filmmakers, and overseeing Back of House Projection operations. The Production Manager also assists the Film Department & Creative Director with venue contracts, invoices, and payments. Excellent communication and email skills are also a vital part of the job. In addition, the Production Manager works with the Film Department & Conference Director to assure the Film Program runs as smoothly and on time as possible. The Production Manager also produces Filmmaker Packets, communicates with filmmakers before, during and after the Festival, handles filmmaker registration and sound checks, and provides any other necessary information to filmmakers.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The responsibilities of the Production Manger include but are not limited to:
- Setting up all computers for exhibition at venues.
- Managing the flow and organization of all incoming digital film files.
- Updating Filmmaker Packet and sending to filmmakers upon a film’s acceptance.
- Creating spreadsheets and tracking all filmmaker information, materials, and deliverables, including exhibition files.
- Scheduling and coordinating equipment rentals needed at each venue and performing tech checks.
- Contacting filmmakers when deadlines are approaching or have passed.
- Responsible for creating and collecting preshow slideshows, trailers/bumpers and placing in appropriate playlists.
- Provide weekly reports to ED and Operations Manager, in addition to weekly timeline meetings.
- Gathering a team of Quality Checkers to ensure films play properly and meet festival. requirements. All films must be QC’d 3 times, once by a member of the film department.
- Keeping the Film Department and the Conference Director updated on the schedule and status of all digital transfers.
- Coordinating shipping logistics for all films.
- Generating, updating and maintaining shipping budget with Film Department, Conference Director & Executive Department.
- Attending all Film Department and Staff meetings.
- Recruiting capable Projectionist Volunteers to work during the Festival.
- Working with the Theater Operations Manager to oversee training and communication to all Theater Volunteers, mainly Projectionists.
- Overseeing and being on call during all screenings throughout the Festival to troubleshoot any technical or staffing issues.
- Serving as tech point person before and during the festival.
- Overseeing Registration for attending filmmakers within Film Department.
- Managing all filmmaker badge purchases before the Festival.
- Adhering to and completing a predetermined timeline.
- Staying ahead of schedule and being preemptive with all deadlines.
- Providing exemplary customer service.
- Providing wrap up and completion materials including but not limited to all shipping invoices, archiving of the film program and an update of the Production Manager Bible.
- Commitment to the AFF Mission Statement.
- Must be familiar with the post production aspect of filmmaking (digital video and film)
- Extensive knowledge of shooting aspect ratios, presentation aspect ratios, color space, projectors, film revision and sound is a must
- Knowledge of both PCs/Mac and video and sound file formats specifics, and extensive understanding and working knowledge of Final Cut and Adobe Premiere
- Extensive knowledge of MS Excel
- Must have a calm persona in high stress situations and the ability to multi-task
- Excellent time management, problem solving skills & patience
- Experience working with and communicating with a large team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Extensive customer service experience
- Ability to prioritize and delegate in a fast paced environment
- Must be able to lift at least 25 lbs.
- Current resume with at least three references
- Cover letter
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete application and submit a cover letter and resume as one document via http://bit.ly/affjobs
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $8,000.00 /year
- Production Management: 1 year (Preferred)