Are you passionate about building premium devices and experiences? The Advanced Prototyping Center focuses on creating devices that help people do more and get done what they need. We are currently building Microsoft’s premium devices such as Xbox, and category changing devices like Surface and HoloLens. Creating these devices involves a close partnership between hardware and software engineers, designers, and manufacturing. The Advanced Prototyping team is looking for a highly skilled, curious, and creative person to directly contribute to the realization of our future products.
As a Model Maker/Prototyper, you will work closely with our design, engineering, and prototyping teams to deliver models and prototypes that communicate our design intent. You will be part of the product development team that drives innovation and finds solutions to complex problems. Excellent interpersonal skills are critical to allow you to succeed in our highly collaborative environment. You must also be highly organized and flexible to manage multiple projects to meet business needs, as well as successfully communicate to stakeholders on the status of the projects. You will apply and develop best practices for transforming concepts and ideas into models and prototypes to communicate with our work partners. The ideal candidate will contribute to the Advanced Prototyping Center through a deep understanding of tools, materials and processes and the application of that knowledge to hardware innovation at Microsoft.
- Accredited 4-year Engineering or Industrial Design degree or related experience.
- 5+ years of experience in creating class A appearance models and/or engineering prototypes.
- 3+ years’ experience with CAD modeling.
- 3+ years of experience in CAM/CNC programming and machining capabilities.
- Computer skills required, including Windows, MS Office Suite.
- Expert abilities creating 3D CAD models and fixtures using CREO and/or Solid Works.
- 2+ years of experience in precision sheet metal fabrication.
- 2+ years of experience in managing prototype work/activities.
- Finishing skills including painting and decorating appearance models.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.