NBC Universal is looking for a talented individual to become the Senior Director of Production Engineering for NBCU Operations and Technology (O&T) based on the Universal City Studios Lot in Los Angeles, California. O&T supports Enterprise Technology, Broadcast, and Production systems across NBCU globally.
The Senior Director of Production Engineering balances day-to-day operations, such as management of a dynamic team providing best-in-class live television production support for NBCU, with forward-looking planning and execution around live television production technology strategy, process methodology, architecture, and collaboration with cross-functional business leaders and partners. This position will have direct management of Universal City, CA-based teams supporting live television production control rooms, studios and related equipment on the Universal City Lot. The teams consist of system design engineers, installation technicians, and studio and control room maintenance engineers. This position also shares responsibilities for technology strategy across other NBCU production locations: 30 Rockefeller Plaza in NY and Telemundo Center in Miami.
Build/maintain a strong engineering team, with a good mix of managerial support, architects, strategy, and innovative engineering teams both directly in LA as well as part of a leadership team across the NBCU Production Engineering group nationally;
Provide regular employee feedback and performance reviews;
Develop partnerships across NBCU engineering teams with cross-facility support and engagement; and
Manage the operational and capital budget for your team and clients.
Cloud Production and Post-Production Transformation Leadership
Lead cloud production and post-production integration efforts across NBCU locations
Be the sales and support face of NBCU production cloud initiatives
Build financial models to guide technology paths relative to cloud conversation strategies
Television Production Technology Support and Maintenance
Assume direct responsibility for the technical performance of Studios, Control Rooms and associated systems for the NBCU Los Angeles production facility, including:
Provide around-the-clock technical support and maintain a complex broadcast production environment consisting of multiple studios, production control rooms and remote locations.
Monitor and oversee operational readiness of current facilities, maintaining in-depth understanding of all relevant technical systems.
Coordinate the activities of team involved in the maintenance, support, deployment and configuration of broadcast equipment.
Collaborate closely with Production Operations management and key staff to assess the facility’s ability to provide service based on a dynamic event schedule.
Event Production Architecture, Support and Maintenance
Collaborate with productions to design technical plans supporting special, multi-camera live events (i.e., red carpet productions, etc.)
Work with production clients to successfully execute tactical support of event productions
Leading up to and during events, provide around-the-clock technical support of the broadcast production.
Capital Projects and Strategy
Collaborate with O&T leadership and operational clients to develop both short- and long-range strategic technology planning and budgeting
Balance local project initiative needs with O&T-driven enterprise initiatives and endeavor to align strategies and develop synergies across all NBCU locations
Develop conceptual designs and technology architecture vision, assign project work to team members with clear direction
Manage ongoing projects, including budgets, timelines, design and integration, application commissioning and training. Maintain application documentation
Engage as needed with projects at other NBCU sites in NY/NJ, LA, Denver, Miami, and International sites
Take a responsible leadership role for all projects and act as the main client interface, working both formally and informally with operations teams, clients, and executive management
Track timelines, manage priorities and schedules, and set client expectations
Capture technical requirements, provide solutions, and ensure resources are available to hit required timelines.
Monitoring and Security
Collaborate closely with the NBCU cyber security team to build repeatable systems with security best practices
Focus heavily on standard security logging and reporting of all systems
Build out enterprise-wide monitoring systems with automated alerting and dashboarding interfaces for easy troubleshooting
- Bachelor’s degree in Film Production, Broadcasting, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related fields
- 7+ years of recent experience with infrastructure management
- 5+ years of management experience, including performance evaluation, hiring, and disciplinary action
- Must be willing to work evenings, overnights, weekends, holidays with little or no notice depending on production schedules
- Must be willing to travel on an as-needed basis
- Collaboration and Technical Communication
- Strong customer service skills and professionalism
- Close collaboration with both clients at the local facilities and peers across O&T
- Strong written and verbal communication, as well as presentation skills for both technical and non-technical audiences
Proven Leadership Skills
- Ability to provide clear, decisive direction while being prepared to pivot or change course when appropriate
- Be a leader your team is excited to follow, not only through regular and planned activities but also when plans change unexpectedly due to outside influence
- Demonstrate a high tolerance for stress, work well with others, and provide a supportive attitude for all colleagues.
Technology Expertise and Ownership
- Demonstrate a high level of expertise with a broad range of technologies, including television production and transmission technologies, storage/asset management systems, automation/development and monitoring tools
- Grow with the industry, adapting to new technologies as they develop
- Demonstrate a dedication to building and maintaining a stable, high-performing technical environment
- Embrace your role as the ultimate responsible party and senior subject matter expert for technology.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.