U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
San Francisco, CA
Link to Original Job Post:
POSITION: CASE MANAGER
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
SALARY RANGE/CLASSIFICATION: CL23 ($39,943 - $64,930) / CL24 ($44,240 - $71,901) / CL25 ($48,850 - $79,436), depending on experience and qualifications.
TERM: 1 year, renewable depending on performance.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled. Applications reviewed as received; priority given to applications received by May 25, 2018.
This position is located in the fast-paced Office of Staff Attorneys in San Francisco. Representative duties include data entry, report generation, reviewing case files, drafting clerk orders, docketing, shipping, and responding to requests from attorneys. Timeliness, accuracy, strong work ethic and sense of humor are critical. Additionally, the successful candidate will be competent, enthusiastic, flexible, and outgoing. Heavy lifting required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident in the process of applying for citizenship. Positions with the U.S. Courts are excepted service appointments. Excepted service appointments are “at will” and can be terminated with or without cause by the Court. Employees will be hired provisionally pending the results of a background investigation and fingerprinting, and are subject to a probationary period. Employees are subject to The Judicial Code of Conduct. Direct deposit of pay required. The U.S. Court of Appeals is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
QUALIFICATIONS for CL23
• Bachelor’s degree
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize work assignments
• Strong customer service ethic
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to take direction from multiple sources; flexible, team-oriented
QUALIFICATIONS for CL24
All of the qualifications of level CL23, plus:
• One year of legal work experience
• General knowledge of court procedures, practices, and related documents; ability to take appropriate actions with these documents consistent with applicable federal and local rules
• Paralegal experience preferred
• Prior experience with Access database
• Ability to analyze data
• Experience providing support to a large group (20 or more people)
QUALIFICATIONS for CL25
All of the qualifications for CL24, plus:
• Two years of legal work experience
• Prior court experience
• Working familiarity with the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure and Ninth Circuit Rules
• Ability to perform the duties of the job independently, with minimal supervision
• Vacation time accrues at a rate of 13 days per year the first three years; increases with tenure
• Sick days accrue up to 13 per year; 10 federal holidays
• Choice of a variety of employer-subsidized federal health and life insurance plans. Dental and vision coverage available. Flexible spending account program. Optional long-term care insurance.
• Participation in both the Federal Employees Retirement System and the Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401K, with employer matching)
• On-site gym and café
• Transit subsidy (budget dependent)
ABOUT THE COURT
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is one of 12 regional federal courts. Circuit courts hear appeals from the district (trial) courts located within their circuit, as well as appeals from decisions of federal administrative agencies. Headquartered in San Francisco with courthouses in Pasadena, Seattle and Portland, the Court serves nine western states, Guam and the Mariana Islands. The San Francisco courthouse is conveniently located one block from the Civic Center BART/Muni station.
For more information about the federal court system, please visit: http://www.uscourts.gov/
For more information about the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, please visit: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and a detailed cover letter which clearly demonstrates why you are the best person for this position, along with 3 professional references by May 25, 2018.
Applications are submitted through the Court’s Career Portal: https://ca9-employment.breezy.hr/
More than one position may be filled from this announcement. Only candidates selected for an interview will be notified. Unsuccessful candidates will not receive notice. Applicants scheduled for interviews should advise the Human Resources department if any accommodation will be necessary to interview, must travel at their own expense, and relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, withdraw the announcement, or fill the position at any time, any of which may occur without prior written or other notice.