The Controller provides direction and leadership for financial operations including, but not limited to, the oversight of monthly closings, journal entries, account reconciliations, and supervision of employees in staff accounting. Additionally, the Controller may be expected to support budgeting, forecasting, financial statement preparation, tax returns, cross regional planning and coordination, as well as audits from clients, insurers, tax authorities, unions, internal/external auditors, etc.
What you'll do:
- Prepare and oversee the preparation of general accounting and financial documents for departments, projects/JVs, and company
- Monitor the financial operations of the company to ensure compliance with budgets
- Prepare various cost/statistical reports for company executives, as needed. This may include administrative overhead expense reports, corporate budgets, capital expenditures, etc.
- Prepare financial data for inclusion in bid proposals and other similar packages, as required
- Develop and implement department policies and procedures, monitor employee performance to ensure compliance with company processes, as well as all federal, state, and local regulations
- Some travel may be necessary to attend corporate meetings and visit projects/clients
- Perform annual performance reviews and goal setting/tracking with accounting staff
- Other duties as assigned or required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Duties and responsibilities may be added and/or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time.
The Controller derives his or her authority, and performs all duties with guidance from the Regional Chief Financial Officer.
We’re Looking for:
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP/IFRS and financial statement preparation
- Knowledge of computer systems (JD Edwards and Hyperion preferred), including Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability and interest in account reconciliation and documentation
- Must have strong work ethic and professional attitude
- Ability to prioritize workload, learn quickly, and maintain sensitivity to confidential nature of assignments
- Strong organization, presentation, and communication skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends during financial close periods, and as needed
- Hands-on, collaborative attitude
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration
- Public accounting experience and 5-10 years of progressively responsible experience in a corporate setting preferred
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and preference given to candidates with Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designation(s)
- Experience in the construction industry is preferred, but not required Work
This job may be performed in the office or on the jobsite and requires frequent sitting (often working on a computer), frequent walking, standing, bending, and reaching. Due to computer usage, there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists. He/she must be able to navigate the jobsite and must comply with all Company safety requirements in the office and on the jobsite.
Developing your career at Skanska, you will:
- Contribute to a sustainable future improving the lives of people, communities and companies;
- Collaborate in an open culture where sound values and dedicated people come together for greater results;
- Thrive in a people-driven international company with countless opportunities to learn and grow.
Skanska is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age.
Skanska USA is one of the largest, most financially sound construction and development companies in the U.S., serving a broad range of clients including those in transportation, power, industrial, water/wastewater, healthcare, education, sports, data centers, government, aviation and commercial. Headquartered in New York with offices in 31 metro areas, we have more than 10,000 employees committed to being leaders in safety, project execution, sustainability, and ethics and people development. In 2016, our work in building construction, civil and power/industrial construction, commercial development and infrastructure development (public-private partnerships) generated $6.8 billion in revenue. Global revenue of parent company Skanska AB, headquartered in Stockholm and listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange, totaled $17.7 billion in 2016. Skanska shares are publicly traded in the U.S. on the OTC market under the symbol SKBSY through a Level I American Depository Receipt program.
We are proud to be named one of America's Best Employers of 2017 by Forbes.
Search Firm and Employment Agency Disclaimer
Skanska USA Human Resources (“Skanska HR”) provides HR services to the Skanska business units within the U.S.A. including Skanska USA Civil Inc., Skanska USA Building Inc., Skanska USA Commercial Development Inc. and Skanska Infrastructure Development Inc. (collectively “Skanska USA”). As such, Skanska HR is the sole authorized representative of Skanska USA to execute any agreements with search firms, employment agencies or any employment vendor (“Vendor”). As a condition precedent to any entitlement for payment, a Vendor shall have both (1) Skanska USA Placement Agreement, and (2) an Engagement Job Order executed by an authorized Skanska HR representative. Absent the properly executed documents, Skanska HR shall have no obligation to make payment to the Vendor. Verbal or written communications from any employee of Skanska USA business units shall not be considered binding obligations. All resumes whether unsolicited or solicited shall be considered property of Skanska HR