This National Guard position is for a AIRCRAFT MECHANIC (T32), Position Description Number D1194000 and is part of the AL 20TH SF GP, National Guard.
Alabama Army National Guard membership required.
20th SF GP, ANNISTON, AL
CW2 J. ANDERSON
AREA OF CONSIDERATION FOR ALABAMA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD POSITION:
All permanent Alabama Army National Guard civilian excepted technicians currently employed.
All drill status/M-day personnel in the Alabama Army National Guard.
All U.S. citizens or individuals eligible for membership in the Alabama Army National Guard.
(1) Troubleshoots, performs maintenance and major repairs on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles. This may include self-propelled artillery, tracked cargo and personnel carriers, road graders, mobile cranes, front loaders, conveyors, bulldozers, power shovels, compressors, generators, tanks, tracked combat vehicles, sedans, buses, all terrain vehicles, trucks, semi trailers, forklifts, tractors, and accessory equipment.
(2) Troubleshoots equipment and diagnoses the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges, and computer diagnostic tools. Utilizes embedded diagnostics in equipment and a wide variety of original equipment manufacturer system analyzers in order to determine the exact nature or extent of repair.
(3) Removes and disassembles engines and major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems. Makes the appropriate repairs, overhaul, or modifications in accordance with the proper repair specifications and procedures. Reassembles engines and other systems, and adjusts, tests, and reinstalls in vehicles and equipment as necessary. Makes adjustments and repairs to electrical and suspension systems.
(4) Independently performs repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems such as injectors, leaking wheel cylinders, corroded mufflers, fuel tanks, brake cylinders and worn brake shoes, voltage regulators, generators, injector pumps, and fuel pumps.
(5) Conducts readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity. Performs operational inspections and ensures vehicles and equipment are properly serviced, including brake adjustments, replacing hydraulic fluids, greasing, cleaning, etc., and performs other preventive maintenance operations as required.
(6) Performs other duties as assigned.
PLEASE SEE HRO FOR COMPLETE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
Job family (Series)
8852 Aircraft Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
National Guard Membership is required.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS :
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Alabama Army National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Alabama Army National Guard recruiter at 800-464-8273 prior to applying for this position.
Military skill set is determined by MOS requirements. Upon selection, individuals must be assigned to a compatible military MOS in accordance with statutes and National Guard Bureau regulations and must obtain/maintain all requirements of the MOS. Specific requirements are found in: references listed below, NGB Compatibility tables and your local Personnel section.
Only applicants within the military grade listed below will be considered.
Maximum Military Rank:
Compatible Military Assignments:
- Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the Specialized Experience listed below: Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position. DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE :
Experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and is able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE :
Must possess at least 12 months experience in each of the following tasks: Experience or training diagnosing, repairing, overhauling, and modifying more complex vehicles, equipment, and more complicated systems. Experience which has provided a thorough knowledge of diagnostic equipment. Experience applying independent judgment in determining methods and techniques required to solve unusually complex maintenance and repair problems. Experienced in testing, inspecting, and evaluating the work performed on vehicles,
equipment and systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of the mechanical makeup, operation, and working relationships of complex systems, assemblies, and parts for a variety of combat, tactical, commercial, special purpose vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to diagnose, repair, overhaul, and modify a variety of combat, tactical, commercial, special purpose vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic, and other non-mechanical systems that have a functional relationship and effect on the operation of mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of hydraulic lifting, loading, turning, and positioning systems and their mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, and electronic controls.
- Basic knowledge of electronics, sufficient to identify and replace defective components, such as sensors, diodes, and circuit boards.
- Ability to repair or overhaul major components such as diesel, multi-fuel or gasoline engines, turbine engines, automatic and manual transmissions, drive line assemblies, electrical and electronic systems and accessories, fuel injection systems, and emission control systems.
- Skill to use a wide variety of test and diagnostics equipment to perform fault isolation and conduct repair of combat, tactical, commercial, special purpose vehicles and equipment. Ability to operate and understand original equipment manufacturer computerized diagnostic equipment and embedded diagnostics.
- Ability to utilize, interpret and apply parts list, manufacturer's repair manuals, technical manuals, diagrams, engineering drawings, diagnostic computer information, and schematics.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION IS NOT CONSIDERED FOR WAGE GRADE POSITIONS.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents :
SF-50 and DD214s are recommended, but not required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.