Directly supervises and coordinates activities of the construction of high-end residential homes and remodeling projects. Participates in the conceptual development of construction projects and coordinates their organization, scheduling and implementation including the oversight of specialty trade contractors.
- Coordinates multiple concurrent residential construction projects to ensure projects are on time and within budget. Works at and travels to and between construction site(s) to supervise progress and ensure quality of construction and a safe work environment.
- Assists in the competitive bid process to obtain the highest quality installation at the lowest possible purchase cost, within project timelines. Provides input on subcontractors based quality, service support, availability, and reliability; and makes appropriate recommendations of subcontractors to Project Manager.
- Reviews Scopes of Work and makes appropriate recommendations for changes and additions to contractual agreements to ensure timely and appropriate service/installation is received within budget.
- Assists in the scheduling and coordination of all construction processes, including the oversight of subcontractors such as excavators, masons, framers, roofers, finish carpenters, painters, electricians, plumbers, HVAC, etc.
- Schedules day-to-day construction site activities into logical, specific steps, budgeting the time required to meet established deadlines and budgets. Schedules specific start and end dates with sub-contractors per project schedule.
- Assists Project Managers with reviewing Scopes of Work with sub-contractors prior to phase start (e.g. electrician, HVAC, etc.), including on-site walk-throughs.
- Supervises and trains Carpenters and Apprentices. Determines labor requirements, dispatches workers to construction sites, and approves time cards.
- Constructs, erects, installs and repairs residential homes as required including framing walls/partitions, installing doors and windows, building stairs, laying hardwood floor, finish carpentry, hanging cabinets, etc in compliance with local building codes and architectural plans.
- Supervises the completion of all construction in accordance with the architect’s drawings and specification and prevailing building codes.
- Manages day-to-day job site activities to ensure safety and cleanliness.
- Provides updates on project progress to Project Manager. Notifies Project Manager of any potential change order concerns.
- Erects, maintains, repairs and removes job site signs.
- Appropriately displays building permits.
- Figures material requirements and makes appropriate recommendations/requisitions for labor, material, machinery, and equipment at the construction site based upon direct observation.
- Ensures packing slips accurately reflect material delivery, tracks materials on job site(s) and coordinates the timely return of any unused and defective materials for credit.
- Interprets and explains plans and contract terms to subcontractors.
- Meets frequently with owners, trade contractors, architects, and others to coordinate all phases of the construction project.
- Confers with Project Manager, owners, subcontractors, and architects to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, and construction problems.
- Participates in the “client selection process” as needed.
- Documents project through 35 mm and/or digital photography.
- Schedules all inspections with local building code officials, and other state officials as needed.
- Implements quality control and safety programs. Ensures safety manual is readily available on-site at all times.
- Conducts phase-end walk-throughs with sub-contractors and if needed prepares punch list for sub-contractor remaining items.
- Assists Project Manger with preparing, coordinating and completing project-end punch lists.
- Investigates damage, accidents, or delays at construction sites and takes appropriate action. Responds to emergency situation(s) as soon as possible.
- Reports all accidents to office and provides transportation to emergency facility.
- Keeps current with regulatory and industry changes affecting both the type and installation of needed materials, including standards for buildings and construction materials, workers safety, energy efficiency and environmental protection.
- Attends weekly internal meetings.
- Quality and timely completion of construction projects.
- Safety of job sites.
- Effective supervision of Carpenters and Laborers.
- Effective coordination of subcontractors; including meeting start and end dates, and ensuring quality work is delivered.
- Accurate and timely material ordering.
- Effective working relationships with clients, architects, managers, and office staff.
Typical requirements (minimum)
- High School Diploma including courses in carpentry, shop, mechanical drawing and general mathematics or the equivalent.
- Ten years of hands on experience in residential construction.
- Demonstrated working technical knowledge of residential remodeling and new construction methods, material, tools and regulations.
- Ability to be flexible and handle multiple tasks under tight timelines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of design techniques, tools and principles involved in the production of precision technical plans, blueprints and models.
- Ability to motivate, develop, teach and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to coordinate several activities at once, while analyzing and resolving specific problems.
- Ability to read blue prints.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to use office computer and learn MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to solve arithmetic problems quickly and accurately.
- Ability to perform physical work which is sometimes strenuous and under uncomfortable ambient conditions.
- Excellent manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination, physical fitness and a good sense of balance.
- Demonstrated planning and quick decision making ability.
- Strong sense and ambition for producing quality work.
- Basic working knowledge of 35mm and/or digital photography.
- Leadership ability.
Job Type: Full-time