Reports to: Middle and Upper School Director
CIS is growing and so is our faculty. Working as an English and drama teacher at Columbia Independent School requires a wide variety of abilities, but also offers a very rewarding experience. The teacher must have a deep understanding of English and literature, experience with drama and/or public speaking, as well as a love for the subjects that can be transferred to the students of various ages, abilities, and interests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Must have the ability to teach upper level (11th/12th grade) English, to include Advanced Placement English
- Teach drama or performing arts electives and/or direct both a fall and spring play or musical
- Update and create curriculum in conjunction with the departmental goals
- Work with students on an individual basis (as needed) outside of regularly scheduled class times
- Provide regular feedback (written and verbal) to students and parents
- Update course pages and electronic grade books regularly
- Prepare progress reports and conduct conferences for students and parents
- Collaborate with other departments on cross-curricular connections.
- Provide support for and chaperone middle or upper school functions (field trips, socials, dances, etc.)
- Attend professional development opportunities
- Model life-long learning through personal and professional growth
- Serve as an ambassador for the school at Open Houses and other admissions or public relations activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in English
- Teaching experience preferred
- Working knowledge of current technology used in English education, with a willingness to learn more
- Demonstrated passion for working with students of middle and/or upper school ages and an understanding of the developmental needs of the age groups
- Experience with drama as a performer or director
- Commitment to the success of every student
- Proven collaborator and team member
- Innovative and optimistic thinker
- Life-long learner with a growth mindset
How to Apply
Please submit the following: Letter of Interest, Statement of Educational Philosophy, and Resumé/CV.
Job Type: Full-time
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)