Would you like to work at a multiple APEX Quality Award-winning surgery center, where the physician ratings are well above the national average? If you want to experience a work environment that encourages you to have a positive impact on patient satisfaction, employee engagement, and quality of care, we are hiring!
To act as patient advocate, providing continuity of care designed to meet individual patient needs through collaboration with other members of the health care team at the facility. Supports the philosophy, objectives and goals of the PACU nurse will ensure quality care to the individual patients recovering from surgery including but not limited to geriatric, adult, pediatric, and adolescent patients.
Reports To: Perioperative Nurse Manager
Licensure as Registered Nurse in the State of Kansas
Current CPR and ACLS certification
Demonstrate ability to stand and/or walk at least five hours per day
Demonstrates ability to lift and/or carry over 20 pounds on a regular basis
Demonstrates ability to push/pull over 25 pounds on a regular basis.
Category I exposure to bloodborne pathogens, frequent exposure to chemical hazards and may encounter radiation hazards.
1. Duties of the RN opening PACU for the day include:
1.1 Opening fire doors and unlocking back door.
1.2 Provide Rx pads for Surgeon's scheduled for the day.
1.3 Check crash cart and 02 tank.
1.4 Count narcotics with another nurse and replenish supply of narcotics.
1.5 Restock refrigerator with fluid supply.
1.6 Restock supplies in PACU bays.
2. Post-operative care of the surgical patient includes:
2.1 Airway maintenance.
2.2 Stabilization of vital signs.
2.3 Safe emergence from anesthesia.
2.4 Control of pain and nausea by administration of drugs.
2.5 Orientation to surroundings.
2.6 Administration of special equipment (i.e., ice bags, post-op shoes, slings).
2.7 Offer nourishments.
3. Follows proper procedures regarding exposure to Category I tasks.
4. Follows proper procedures for handling hazardous waste materials.
5. Documents vital signs, nurse's notes and drugs administered on the PACU record.
6. Notes and follows physicians' orders. (Both surgeons and anesthesiologists).
7. Reviews discharge instructions and educates patient and/or responsible adult with appropriate information to alleviate fears and maintain optimal post-op care in the home environment.
8. Obtains discharge order from anesthesiologist or surgeon (if local anesthesia) prior to discharge.
9. Makes Post Op calls of previous days' patients to check patient's condition. Records complications and document all transfers to hospital in the PACI Log and files QA Variance Report with Supervisor.
10. Observation and discharge of endoscopy and liver biopsy patients.
11. Assists with nerve blocks performed by anesthesiologist in the PACU area.
12. Cleans gurneys and cribs after each patient and restocks supplies.
13. Just prior to leaving, does the following:
13.1 Re-verifies narcotic count.
13.2 Locks drug cupboards.
13.3 Deposit keys in locked box.
13.3 Turns off all appliances.
13.4 Locks back door.
13.5 Secures medical charts; prescription pads, and log book.
13.6 Closes supply closet door.
13.7 Logs off computer and turns power off.
13.8 Turns off all lights.
13.7 Leave care area tidy and pick-up obvious trash.
13.9 Closes double doors.
14. Follows appropriate Pre-Op/Admitting policies and procedures if asked to assist in the pre-operative department.
14.2 If assisting in pre-op, nursing pre-assessment record, orders, H&P, and consents to be completed per policy.
15. Assists in the pre-operative patient teaching process according facility policy and procedures while providing patient care and making pre-operative calls.
15.1. Provides preoperative instruction and explanation of patient rights and responsibilities.
15.2 Describes the perioperative experience to the patient and the participation of the significant other, including what to expect before, during and after the procedure using approved materials.
15.3 Contacts all patients at least one (1) day prior to admission. Reviews health history and procedure to be performed. Provides all required preoperative instructions applicable to the procedure being performed. Gives patient time to arrive at Center and start time of procedure.
15.4 Notifies Anesthesia Group of next day’s OR schedule. Reviews with on call anesthesiologist health histories of any scheduled admissions that do not meet the Center’s admission criteria.
15.5 Reviews or takes physician orders verbal preoperative orders prior to the day of admission. Monitors that orders or preoperative testing requests from either admitting physician or anesthesiologist have been received prior to day of admission.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $64,480.00 to $79,040.00 /year
- EMR systems: 1 year (Preferred)
- PACU registered nurse: 1 year (Required)
- BLS, ACLS, PALS (Required)
- Registered Nurse (RN) (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Women's Health
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused