Full Job Description
Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.
32370 Law School
About the Unit
The University of Chicago Law School occupies a unique niche among this country's premier law schools. Located on a residential campus in one of America's great cities, UChicago Law offers a rigorous and interdisciplinary professional education that blends the study of law with the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences. Students, faculty, and staff form a small, tightly knit community devoted to the life of the mind. Learning is participatory. UChicago Law does not seek to impose a single viewpoint or style of thought on its students. Instead, our faculty exposes students to contrasting views, confident in students' abilities to choose their own paths.
Responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing applications, systems architecture, and network infrastructure. Ensures operation and security of all servers and networks. Configures, installs, maintains and upgrades applications and hardware for the organization's infrastructure and for end-user devices.
Career Track and Job Level
Provides hands-on maintenance for production servers. Installs, configures, and maintains operating systems and utility software, using best practices and professional standards. Recommends, installs, and maintains appropriate levels of hardware and software firewalls associated with specific server implementations. Designs, scales, and builds automated approaches across all stages of infrastructure development. Continually improves automation of services, monitoring, alerting services, and resiliency. Provides tooling to all of development, operations and infrastructure, patch and maintain Windows and Linux servers. Actively participates in the design and development of products and projects.
P3: Requires in-depth knowledge and experience. Uses best practices and knowledge of internal or external University issues to improve products or services. Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions. Works independently, receives minimal guidance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
The job designs automated, scalable, and rapidly deployable solutions to infrastructure development and server configuration. Works independently to install, configure, and maintain operating systems. Uses best practices and systems knowledge to monitor and alert systems, utility software, and firewalls. Guides maintenance for production servers as well as Windows and Linux servers.
1) Configures, installs, upgrades, and maintains server applications and hardware. Works to safeguard the integrity of computer software. Implements operating system enhancements to improve the reliability and performance of the system., 2) Administers operating systems, maintains security, and implements backup procedures for the organization's information systems and peripheral equipment, such as servers, desktops, printers, and storage devices., 3) Plans and installs necessary patches and upgrades for servers and their associated storage, network, communications, and peripheral sub-systems. Installs and maintains an appropriate level of intrusion detection, monitoring, and auditing software as required., 4) Tracks compliance and maintains documentation for hardware, software, and service inventories for management reports., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) Administers a small, uniform site alone or assists in the administration of a larger system
2) Installs, configures, and maintains operating system workstations and servers, including web servers, in support of business processing requirements
3) Performs software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages
4) Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures
5) Monitors and tunes the system to achieve optimum performance levels
6) Ensures workstation/server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions
7) Ensures data/media recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations
8) Supports media management through internal methods and procedures or through offsite storage and retrieval services
9) Develops and promotes standard operating procedures
10) Conducts routine hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines
11) Develops and maintains a comprehensive operating system, hardware and software configuration, and database/library of all supporting documentation
12) Provides monitoring and primary response and intervention for information technology related security incidents and violations
13) Keeps current with new security and network monitoring technologies, applicable laws, and regulations
14) Other duties as assigned by the Director of Information Technology
1) Regarding advanced system administration and troubleshooting, skill is necessary in the following areas: Windows 10, Windows Server 2008-2016 Advanced Trouble-shooting experience, ADDS, GPO Design, Microsoft Clustering SQL/File Services, Powershell scripting, End-Client Imaging (MDT or SCCM), O365 Exchange Admin (or Exchange on-prem administration), VMWare vSphere HA Clusters, VMWare Templates/Baselining
2) Considerable proficiency in desktop computer software use in both Windows and Macintosh environments
3) Knowledge of configuration and management of clusters
4) Knowledge of backup technology and other monitoring and automated systems management technologies
5) Knowledge of system administration issues in a large and complex client server environment
6) Familiarity with integration and management issues in a heterogeneous computing environment
7) Technical knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards
8) Outstanding deductive and investigative skills to identify and diagnose complex, non-intuitive technical problems
9) Ability to learn new procedures, techniques, and approaches quickly
10) Integrity and credibility to work with sensitive data
Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 5-7 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Bachelor's Degree
2) Certifications such as Enterprise Administrator Expert, CISSP, MCP, ITIL, Networking+
1) A minimum of five years of systems administration experience
2) Experience managing networked servers and workstations with knowledge of DHCP, DNS, IIS, TCP/IP, VLAN, configuring layer 2 managed switches, firewall configuration and management
3) Experience in a multi-platform network environment including mail service and client support, backup and restore technologies, Macintosh and PC communication software support, and various graphical user interfaces
4) Regarding storage and backup, experience with NAS/SAN Highly-Available Solutions (iSCSI)
5) Experience with certificate installation and management, WSUS administration, and SQL DB Cluster Administration
2) Cover Letter
3) Professional References Contact Information
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity /Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form .
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.