The Utilities Asset Management Analyst, under guidance from a Senior Utility Management Consultant or Utility Management Consultant, will provide core analytical support for strategic utility management consulting projects. This person will be expected to support assessments, perform analyses, conduct research, support the planning of new strategies, support the design of new initiatives, support implementation of new business practices and information management tools, and effectively communicate recommendations in writing and in public presentations to a variety of audiences.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Necessary accommodations will be provided in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and state or local law.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the essential nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to list ALL responsibilities or qualifications of the job.
Responsibilities may include:
Learn and apply a broad range of best management practices with water, wastewater, and/or stormwater utilities including asset management, information management, and maintenance and operations management best practices
Work with consultants and client staff to perform business process/work method assessments, conduct project research/data collection, perform analyses, and generate reports
Support the planning, design, and implementation of operations and maintenance optimization and capital renewal program strategies for water, wastewater, and/or stormwater utilities
Perform analyses on large utility datasets such as GIS, computerized maintenance management system (CMMS), customer information systems, Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG), condition inspection databases, capacity assessment/hydraulic modeling, etc.
Perform services on-site or off-site to support client staff performing their day-to-day activities such as planning/scheduling, condition assessment, capacity assessment, project and contractor management, etc.
Design, implement, and interpret results utilizing a variety of dashboard platforms
Research and use analytical skills to stay up to date on emerging technologies and business processes related to asset management and public agency operations
Develop an in-depth understanding of public organizations operations and management core functions, processes, and activities and the value, services, and deliverables each customer and stakeholder contribute within the various value streams
Perform other related duties as necessary or assigned
Minimum qualifications include:
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm, professionalism, and creativity
- Outstanding critical thinking skills
- Must be detail-oriented and able to prioritize, multitask, and organize complex projects
- Degree in engineering or related discipline, such as data science, environmental science/management, or equivalent experience
- 0-4 years of experience in the industry
- Strong interest in utility management / asset management consulting services
- Valid driver’s license and excellent driving record
- Able to periodically travel to utilities across the region or country
Preferred qualifications include:
- Familiarity with or experience in planning and implementation of the following: asset management strategies for utilities; maintenance strategies for utilities; infrastructure inspection and condition assessment programs and/or capacity assessment programs; capital renewal strategies for utilities; asset and customer information management and decision support systems
- Experience developing databases and performing tabular and/or GIS analysis
- Experience working for or with a local government or utility
- Experience using Microsoft Excel or Access and/or other tools (Tableau, Power BI, etc.) to analyze large data sets
Required software proficiencies include:
- Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Must be proficient in creating pivot tables, pivot charts, writing formulas (e.g., performing v-lookups) within Microsoft Excel
Preferred software proficiencies include:
- Microsoft specialized applications (Access, Power Query, PowerPivot, Visio, Project)
- Writing queries and joining tables within Microsoft Access or similar SQL environment
- ESRI ArcGIS ArcMap and/or Pro and various extensions such as Spatial Analyst
- Esri Apps including Workforce, Survey123, Collector, etc.
- Understanding of industry data management software, customer information systems, computerized management systems (CMMS) such as Azteca Cityworks, Central Square’s Lucity, Infor/Hansen, IBM Maximo, Granite, Linko, etc.
- Understanding of data warehouse and business intelligence tools such as Tableau, Qlik, Power BI, etc.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa at this time.
Blue Cypress Consulting is a vibrant and growing firm based in Decatur, GA, with growing offices in Cincinnati, OH, and Seattle, WA. Formed in 2013, the firm provides clients with best-in-class utility management and community development consulting services. We add value through responsiveness; a focus on innovation; offering honest, respectful, and well-thought-through advice; and high-end analytical services. We strive to stay sharp, monitor and set trends, and think outside the box to offer fresh ideas to our clients. We sweat the details, while keeping our eye on the strategic horizon. Above all, quality and integrity are the touchstones of Blue Cypress culture.
Employee Development – Our Philosophy
We believe in helping our employees align their energy with their passion. We believe in setting our employees up for success by providing structure to develop their careers. We believe in mentorship that nurtures passion and challenges the intellect. We embrace the entrepreneurial spirit and are seeking a candidate with the same passion for making our company their own and changing the world. We support getting involved in community and trade organizations, attending career related training opportunities, and attending conferences to present and to learn.
Benefits of Working with Us
At Blue Cypress Consulting, we offer flexible work arrangements/schedules and strive to promote work/life balance. We utilize remote working tools such as screen sharing and professional conference calling equipment, as well as cloud file storage, enabling our consultants access to their team and data from any client site. We offer competitive paid time off, a retirement account matching program, and comprehensive healthcare plans.
This position is not responsible for supervising other employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
This is a hybrid position that includes both in-office and remote work. Employees are required to come into the office once per week, with a minimum of 6 times per month. While in the office, the employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is our top priority. Due to the ongoing nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, we require employees to be fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC. The company will make reasonable accommodations when possible for employees who are unable to be vaccinated because of a disability, pregnancy, or sincerely held religious beliefs.
There is potential travel up to 10%. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel requirements may be adjusted.
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement
Blue Cypress Consulting provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee filling this position. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by management. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this job description. Reasonable accommodation will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Pay: $55,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
- Please attach a cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for Blue Cypress. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Do you require sponsorship, now or in the future? Please respond with "yes" or "no".
- Asset Management Strategies for Utilities: 1 year (Preferred)
- Database Analysis: 1 year (Preferred)
- GIS analysis: 1 year (Preferred)
- Information Management/Decision Support Systems: 1 year (Preferred)
- Maintenance Strategies for Utilities: 1 year (Preferred)
- Microsoft Office and Specialized Applications: 1 year (Preferred)
- Water/Sewer Industry as consultant or public employee: 1 year (Preferred)
- Excel pivot tables and pivot charts: 1 year (Required)
- writing formulas and performing v-lookups within Excel: 1 year (Required)
- writing queries and joining tables within MS Access: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: One location