Job Title: Line Cook
Cook meats, shrimp, vegetables, soups and other hot food products as well as prepare and portion food products prior to cooking. Also, perform other duties in the areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all hot menu item plates.
Activities & Responsibilities Activities & Responsibilities
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of Vegan Mob: to provide nutritious and healthy food with plant-based ingredients. Our passion is to help surrounding communities by empowering them with the food they love and enjoy, while also supporting a healthy lifestyle.
- Inspect and clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating the temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, fryers, roasters, and other kitchen equipment.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Knows and complies consistently with the restaurant’s standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies, and procedures.
- Responsible for the quality of products served.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to support a smooth service period.
- Handles, stores, and rotates all food products and supplies according to restaurant policies and procedures.
- Turn or stir foods to ensure even cooking.
- Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications and serve food to servers or guests.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Carve and trim meats such as beef, veal, ham, pork, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
- Closes the kitchen following the closing checklist for kitchen stations and assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs.
- Keep records and accounts.
- Coordinate and supervise work of kitchen staff.
- Prepare relishes and hors d'oeuvres.
Tools & Technology
- blenders, grinders, slicers
- broilers, convection ovens, deep fryers, griddles, grills, microwave ovens, ranges, rotisseries, steamers
- cutlery (boning knives, chefs' knives, paring knives)
- ovens (conveyor ovens, rotating rack ovens, salamander ovens, pizza ovens, smokers or smoke ovens)
- Cutting machinery
- Domestic knives (cimeter knives, filet knives, utility knives)
- Food safety labeling systems
- Personal computers
- Point of sale terminal
- Slicing machinery
- Menu planning software
- Inventory management software
- Recipe cost control software
- Point-of-sale software (Compris Advanced Manager's Workstation; Compris; Hospitality Control Solutions Aloha Point-of-Sale; ICVERIFY; Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale; MICROS Systems HSI Profits Series; NCR Advanced Checkout Solution; NCR NeighborhoodPOS; The General Store; ClubSoft Food & Beverage Point of Sale; DataTeam Lunch Express; Dinerware Intuitive Restaurant; Food Service Solutions POSitive ID System; Restaurant Manager)
- Spreadsheet software (Microsoft Excel)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $16.00 per hour
To keep our employees safe, we provide masks and disposable gloves which must be worn at all times at Vegan Mob
- Cooking: 2 years (Preferred)
- High volume delivery: 4 years (Preferred)
- Prepare all food items as directed in a sanitary and timely manner
- Follow recipes and presentation specifications
- Operate standard kitchen equipment safety and efficiently
- Clean and maintain station in practicing good safety and sanitation
- Assist with the cleaning and organization of kitchen and equipment
- Restock items as needed throughout the shift
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
Company's Facebook page:
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible