The Building Specialist will provide a working knowledge of the building infrastructure and skills needed to respond rapidly to changing conditions that may affect these critical network assets. The Omaha, NE Farnam facility is a large multi-story data center complex containing critical IT and Network operations and assets. This specialist may also be required to cross train and serve the Douglas Building which is a large multi-storey CO/Admin complex containing large areas of CenturyLink Network operations and assets along with similar functions of AT&T’s.
Installs, maintains, monitors, and repairs or rebuild simple or complex building related systems and equipment to include heating, lighting, locks, refrigeration, building automation systems, water and air cooling, chillers (1500T), air handling, plumbing, fire protection systems, electrical distribution (up to 480 volts), alarms and standby power systems.
Operates energy management computerized controls. Operates and performs preventative maintenance on computer which monitors air conditioning, heating and fire systems. Knowledge of building automation software.
Analyzes and resolves complex mechanical, electrical, and/or technical problems which are not easily identified.
Performs testing and diagnoses of total system operations to determine satisfactory performance and maintenance requirements. Uses tools, such as common hand and power tools - hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches, precision measuring instruments, electrical and electronic testing devices and other tools necessary to perform job requirements.
Uses knowledge of component and/or systems integration to troubleshoot, maintain, and repair building systems.
Review and analyzes architectural, mechanical, and schematic drawings to determine the work to be performed, and/or evaluate the work performed.
Responds to building related emergencies to prevent or minimize service outages.
Works on most aspects of the building structure, including but not limited to roofs, ceilings, walls, floors and grounds.
Keeps detailed records of assignments, work activities, and required equipment history in CMMS and other real estate systems. Detailed information will be used by Facility Manager for project or budgeting purposes.
Reviews and updates the Building Certification book contents. Ensure a floor plan for each area is included in the book showing the unique operational systems and sequence of operations. Performs general building inspections as required by designated PM’s.
Interacts with internal customers, facility manager, contractors, suppliers, engineers, and architects to exchange information.
Participate in commissioning activities and testing procedures to ensure that new and modified equipment/systems are functioning as expected.
- 2-year trade school certification in Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) or Refrigeration Services, plus on-the-job training.
- Possess one of the following: Building Owners and Managers Institute (BOMI) Certification; Refrigeration Service Engineers Society (RSES) Certification
- Valid state drivers license, satisfactory driving record and ability to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission.
- Must possess or obtain local, state or federal regulated licenses as appropriate including City of Omaha Stationary Engineer’s Certificate – Third or First Grade
- Appropriate certification to work with refrigerants/chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).
- Must work varying shifts and hours including mandatory overtime and holidays.
- Requires ability to work under conditions that may be physically uncomfortable or dangerous. Work environment may have exposure to noise, fumes, cold and heat.
- Must work with little or no supervision.
- May be requested to work at distant or multiply locations requiring travel and/or overnight stays for vary lengths of time.
- May work outdoors and be exposed to variable weather conditions.
- May be required to wear safety glasses, safety shoes, protective gloves, and other safety equipment.
- May utilize pallet jacks, two-wheeled cards, hand trucks, and/or forklifts.
- May utilize all types of hand and power tools.
- May be required to lift/move 100 lbs.
- Must have ability to perceive the difference in wire color
- May work aloft.
- 2 years’ experience troubleshooting and repairing large complex HVAC systems in the last 5 years.
- 2 years’ experience troubleshooting and servicing 5-20T air conditioning units, including both chilled water and DX coils in the last 5 years.
- 2 years’ experience working on fan units for central cooling systems in the last 5 years.
- 2 years’ experience working on central cooling centrifugal chillers up to 1500T, in the last 5 years.
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, creed, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, "protected statuses"). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.