Full Job Description
For basic qualifications, we require that:
- You have a completed bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or 2+ years Amazon experience
- You are authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.
- You take ownership in your work and team and are available to work overtime during Amazon’s peak holiday season and as needed year-round. You are obsessed with customer experience and understand the importance of a 24/7 operations. You are flexible to work on any type of assigned shift (nights, weekends, etc.).
- You pride yourself on leading other leaders; you have direct experience managing front-line supervisors and have been responsible for supporting their performance and their associates.
- You have an eye for efficiency and bring experience identifying and implementing large-scale process improvement initiatives using data-driven techniques (performance metrics or Lean techniques).
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
At Amazon, we have a unique culture built on pioneering into unknown and new frontiers. From selling books to creating the Kindle, from making films to launching faster delivery, Amazon reinvents normal. After selling the first book in 1995, we have grown at an incredible rate and now have become the universe’s most customer centric company. By hiring those that take risks and find fulfillment through making the impossible commonplace, Amazon cultivates innovation. Every employee at Amazon has the power to forge their own path and to have a true impact on the business, and we find that exhilarating.
Read more about us at amazon.com/about
When we hire you at Amazon, we hire for the future. With unlimited career opportunities, Amazon invests in ensuring our teams are always challenged, constantly learning from each other, and creatively contributing to our next big idea. You will be surrounded by the best innovators of our time and we welcome you to make history with us: minority, female, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation.
See why diversity is important to us at amazon.com/diversity
Operations is at the heart of Amazon business. We are known for our speed, accuracy and exceptional service. Our buildings deliver tens of thousands of products to hundreds of countries worldwide, every day. In these key roles, you’ll come in to help us exceed productivity goals and deliver against our customer promises. Our scale is expansive and our presence is growing - some of our centers across the United States and Canada are over 1 million square feet! Our goal is simple: to offer the world’s greatest selection of products and services with the world’s best customer experience.
Watch videos on our team members at youtube.com/AmazonFulfillment
As an Operations Manager, you will have the opportunity to lead an inbound operation, outbound operation, or a functional process on a specified shift or across multiple shifts within an Amazon Fulfillment Center. You will be responsible for leading, developing, and engaging a team of exceptional talent that makes innovation possible; one of your main focuses will be motivating, mentoring, and coaching your team to become the best leaders they can be. To achieve this, Operations Managers are creative problem solvers who are able to dream in immense scale, interpret big data, and deliver meaningful results that keenly drive productivity and efficiency. Some of the position’s key responsibilities include:
- Supporting all safety programs and OSHA compliance to ensure a safe work environment for all associates and managers
- Leading and developing a team of 3-7 Area Managers (front-line supervisors) and 100-300 hourly associates by embodying Amazon’s Leadership Principles
- Acting as the primary information source for the team, maintaining compliance and consistency, and taking corrective action when needed
- Mentoring, training, and developing teammates for career progression, performance improvement, and recognition purposes
- Creating, communicating, and maintaining quality control policies and standard work procedures to Area Managers and associates
- Proactively identifying and leading process improvement initiatives using Lean tools to delight customers
- Building and delivering productivity plans by reviewing work forecasts, determining productivity requirements, and partnering with other Operations Managers to balance labor
- Evaluating performance objectives and metrics to determine inbound or outbound productivity requirements to achieve customer time, accuracy, and quality expectations
- Partnering with other managers to share best practices across shifts and the network
We are committed to developing a diverse workforce and we are even more committed to working with you to make that happen. Depending on the type of job, you will be required to engage in physical warehouse activities with or without reasonable accommodation. These activities include the following:
- Lifting and moving material up to 49 pounds each
- Bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head
- Frequent walking in the building and around area; facilities are over a quarter mile in length
- Standing and walking for up to 10-12 hours a day
- Ascending and descending ladders, stairs, and gangways safely and without limitation
What do we offer?
Amazon offers competitive compensation packages including comprehensive healthcare benefits starting on Day 1 and up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave. We grant each employee ownership in the company, including Amazon stock awards and a matching 401(k) program. But, if you’re not in it for those perks, here is one more: we don’t wear suits and ties! Come as you are because jeans, t-shirts, sneakers and sometimes a neon safety vest will be your daily outfit. Jeff Bezos’s most recent letter to shareholders sums it all up pretty well.
For preferred qualifications, we prefer that:
- You have a bachelor’s or MBA degree in Engineering, Operations or related field.
- You have 5 or more years of management experience in a manufacturing, production, or distribution environment. You also have experience motivating and leading a contingent workforce.
- You are leader and exhibit that in your everyday work. You not only have experience in managing 5 or more front-line supervisors, you also lead large-scale process improvements through Lean process, Kaizen, and Six Sigma.
- You have the ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment, and when given a deadline you know how to motivate yourself, your managers, and associates and meet it.
- You don’t hesitate in public speaking or writing a paper. You have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You enjoy working with numbers and using data to provide thought-provoking and workable solutions. Data is what you look to when given a problem to solve.
- You volunteer to lead projects and help your team achieve goals. You have a track record of taking ownership and driving results.
- You like adventures and taking risks. You are willing to relocate to any of our sites in the country with the assistance provided.
- You see value in long term thinking and large scale impact to a company. You have interest in developing a long-term career through assignments in multiple operational buildings across the nation.