The Transit Management of Central Maryland (TMCM) dba as the Regional Transit Agency (RTA) manages and operates public transportation in Anne Arundel County, Howard County, northern Prince George’s County, and the City of Laurel. RTA employs 170 administrative, operations, and maintenance staff. Reporting to the General Manager, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for recruitment and retention, training and development, benefits, compensation, employee relations, performance evaluations, regulatory compliance, EEO compliance, insurance, claims management, and supervision of the HR department.
Vacation and Sick Leave
Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
401K Retirement Savings Plan with Matching Contributions
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Implement and promote the RTA’s commitment to a customer-driven focus and safety culture.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local legislation, regulations and policies and determine the impact to employees.
- Counsel managers and employees regarding the impact of labor and regulatory laws (e.g. FMLA, EEO, ADA).
- Responsible for all recruiting efforts including recruiting strategy, on boarding, tracking metrics and ensuring open positions are filled in a timely manner.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining all HR policies and ensuring compliance with federal and state law.
- Consult with and advise the General Manager and Department Heads on human resource strategy, personnel policies, and the interpretation and administration of agreements.
- Oversee and manage the preparation and distribution of payroll, maintenance of payroll records, and required reporting in accordance with Federal, State, and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Provide management, supervision, direction, and coordination over the personnel assigned to the department including setting work priorities, project management, and program evaluation.
- Responsible for all HR and benefits compliance matters and reporting. Examples include: EEO, Affirmative Action, DOL, COBRA and ACA.
- Administer employee benefits programs including medical/dental/vision insurance, and disability/pension programs.
- Manage benefits programs, including conducting analysis, working with all insurance providers; including unemployment, managing contract renewals and the open enrollment process.
- Prepare and recommend revisions to job descriptions, position classifications, pay plans, salary surveys, and directs the continuous administration of these plans.
- Oversee the department’s recordkeeping program. Ensure personnel files are maintained and stored in compliance with internal and external requirements.
- Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to department staff and is responsible for the organization’s performance evaluation process.
- Develop, maintain, and manage Standard Operating Procedures for Human Resources including personnel policies and procedures, compensation and benefits policies, performance standards and expectations, employee handbooks, and record keeping methodology.
- Oversee employee relations issues. Conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations, in compliance with federal and state law, and advises management of results and recommendations.
- Participate in union contract negotiations and assist with preparations.
- Address employee grievances and disputes in compliance with terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
- Assist with other activities and duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Public Administration, or related field and 4-6 years of human resources experience, or any combination of education and experience in Human Resources equal to six years.
Knowledge and experience with human resource information systems and payroll systems. Background and experience with collective bargaining agreements (CBA) and dealing with unions.
Human Resources Certified Professional (i.e. PHR, SPHR, CCP, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP) is desired, however not required if knowledge has been acquired through experience.
Experience working in the transit industry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven leadership ability and demonstration of strong employee relations in a high performance culture with a strong sense of customer service, excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, including knowledge of EEO, ADA and FMLA.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), including Payroll Networks and Time Force, or other comparable software.
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation and benefits, organizational planning and development, employee relations, safety, training and development.
- Proven management skills in coaching, performance management, and facilitating business competency.
- Demonstrated ability to deal directly with department managers to build consensus, establish trust, communicate effectively and foster culture change.
- Demonstrated experience in disciplinary/regulatory investigations, promoting a diverse workforce, and practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Must have excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
TMCM is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or other legally protected status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Job Type: Full-time
- human resources: 4 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off