The Warehouse Team Lead is responsible for verifying the daily plan and coordinating priorities with the manager. Leads team members to support daily start-up activities, verifying the processing plan, deliveries, packing slips and specific t-tags against packing slips to ensure efficient product staging. Responsible to meet daily cooking, assembly runs, staging and thawing needs in a chilled food facility.
Required Experience and Education:
- Verifies the daily plan, deliveries, and any immediate needs that are needed to prepare for inbound or outbound inventory movement of products, raw materials, supplies or other inventory to and from large trucks, docks and warehouse staging or storage areas. Monitors food safety by verifying and updating temperature logs.
- Gives instruction to team members to cover all shipping, receiving and movement of inventory. Understands the material requirements, delivery expectations, movement routines and equipment needs.
- Consistently monitors the performance of team members in the critical success areas: Safety, Quality, Food Handling, Efficiency/accuracy and service level. Maintains a high level of floor presence to meet expectations.
- Establishes routines that may include communicating performance expectations, plan of the day, coaching, and safety. May double check loads for accuracy. Serves as the liaison for communicating matters between dispatch, production team and management.
- Sets the tone to establish a culture of respect, hard work, consistency and effective communication within and outside of the department.
- Observes and assist with loading and unloading of products from trailers, dock or storage areas using forklift trucks, pallet jacks and other material handling equipment. Responsible for examining product content, comparing information to verify accuracy of incoming and outgoing shipments.
- Routines include sorting, stacking, shelving, pack, wrap, tie and label products as per company procedures and maintaining organized inventory, particularly during peak demand.
- May transport items from the warehouse or freezer to various departments or the dock. Complies with all state and federal Health and Safety codes.
- Ensures products are stored in their proper places in warehouse and enforces FIFO practices with team members, particularly with attention to dairy products. Ensure team exercises extreme care and safety when using a forklift in populated areas.
- Uses computer skills to enter data into an inventory control data management computer system. May assist with preparing a variety of inventory related reports or documents.
- Follow company standards and legal regulations to ensure a safe and positive work atmosphere. May be responsible for coaching, observing and assisting with job related injury reporting.
- Supports our green waste program, ensuring waste products are properly sorted and accounted for.
- Adhere to and promotes proper GMP’s when working within food production areas or handling food products.
- Ensure team conducts daily safety checks on forklifts before using them. Identifies, documents and reports faulty equipment, damage, and safety concerns immediately. May put forklift on the battery charger at the end of shift.
- Responsible to keep the work area and equipment clean, regularly removing empty pallets, wood and plastic.
- Follows all required safe work and food safety practices. This includes proper stacking and securely wrapping pallets, wearing a seat belt on a forklift and that all team members wear required PPE in designated areas.
- Corrects and/or reports any food safety and food quality related issues to QA and/or management immediately.
- May complete a variety of routine admin and reporting tasks associated with the work and other duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability:
- Minimum 1- 2 years of experience in a food warehouse, distribution or food production environment
- Experience in a leadership or supervisory role in a fast-paced food related environment is preferred
- Experience accomplishing and leading the work thru other team members is preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience using basic math skills, completing inventory counts, admin tasks or data entry
- Good communication, demeanor and interpersonal relations skills
- Prior forklift operating experience and certification helpful
- Able to work a flexible schedule, covering varied shifts and weekend work
- Ability to set priorities and problem-solve, while working under pressure and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail required. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter who is able to work with others to accomplish the work
- Ability to read, count, follow basic instructions and apply basic math skills
- Intermediate computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
Work is within a factory setting, with chilled temperatures, on a dock and occasionally work is required within the freezer area. Routinely exposed to wet, damp and cold conditions. All PPE is provided.
- Prolonged standing and walking is routinely required.
- May lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Routinely required to stand, walk, bend, carry, crouch, grasp, hold, kneel, lift, push/pull, reach, sit, squat, stand, stoop, stretch, turn, twist, talk, listen and communicate with others.