The administrative assistant provides a wide variety of administrative and support functions for the Career and College Promise Program. The administrative assistant will at times work independently by taking initiative to ensure efficient daily operations, collaborates with a wide range of internal and external college constituencies to support the unit effectively. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: prepare payroll, create contracts, assist with purchasing processes, perform word processing/data entry, duplicate materials, maintain files and critical records, answer/assess telephone inquiries, prepare correspondence, schedule meetings and tasks, arrange travel, assist with budget management, and record meeting minutes.
- Provide administrative support for Career and College Promise Program.
- Coordinate schedules including internal and external obligations, including coordination and prioritization of daily appointments and business obligations.
- Arrange meetings: handle communications, travel arrangements, and the processing of related functions and documents.
- Call processing: The person in this position should be able to refer incoming calls to the respective employee or department while ensuring that appropriate calls are referred to the College and Career Promise Liasion.
- Provide administrative support to College and Career Promise Liasion relative to committee appointments. Duties include scheduling meetings, preparing agendas, documenting minutes, and preparing exhibits.
- Assist in the hiring processes for Career and College Promise Program by coordinating interview meetings/documents.
- Prepare new hire and separation documents, as well as prepare payroll and manage leave requests for College and Career Promise staff.
- File and retrieve documents and reference materials.
- Support regional accreditation processes and correspondence.
- Provide exemplary customer service in person, over the phone and via email. Treat customers with courtesy and respect, showing concern for their needs, and investigate and resolve concerns promptly.
- Help interpret policy for students, parents, and faculty/staff.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Maintain budget records: recommend expenditure requests, monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budget, recommend and process budget transfers. Assist in developing draft budget proposals as necessary.
- Perform purchasing functions: research availability and pricing, assist in developing bid proposals, complete requisitions/contracts and process invoices for approval.
- Prepare reports and/or presentation materials as required.
- Help coordinate planning unit activities and timely completion of planning process/documents.
- Ensure all documents that require a signature are promptly signed and returned to appropriate recipients.
- Provide training and mentoring to other administrative assistants as needed.
- Develop forms for college wide use.
- Serve on college committees and focus groups.
- Demonstrate and model the college’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Difficult Challenges Contacts Education Required
Associates Degree in Business Administration, Office Management or related field, or at least four years’ of related administrative experience.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Office Management or related field
Two years of related administrative experience and a proven record of progressively responsible experience in administrative functions, including evidence of experience in the following areas:
o Thorough knowledge of office practices, procedures and equipment to include basic accounting practices to track budget and expenditures
o Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and experience using word processing, developing spreadsheets, developing presentations, and using database software applications
- More than 2 years of recent progressively responsible experience providing administrative support
- Experience in an academic setting
- Recent experience with an enterprise student information system (e.g., Colleague)
- Possess an intermediate knowledge of database programs (e.g., Access)
- Ability to create, correct and format documents and communications. Work experience with word processing, database software, spreadsheets, presentation and communication software. Willingness to be continually updated in these skills.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Demonstrate initiative in upgrading skills with professional developmental opportunities.
- Ability to handle paperwork and confidential information with discretion and sensitivity.
- Exceptional organizational skills and deadline management with the ability to prioritize projects and tasks.
- Ability to work efficiently and calmly under pressure.
- Strong verbal skills and personable manner in dealing with the public in person and on the phone.
- Ability to compose correspondence with correct punctuation and grammar.
- Strong proof reading skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in written form.
- Punctuality and flexibility in time management.
- Neat, professional appearance and attire.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to organize and maintain files for ready access.
- Must be willing to work flexible schedules as needed. Will be in constant contact with public at all times.
KSA Preferred Department/Job Specific Requirements
- Ability to work effectively and accurately in Datatel.
- Enter student applications and test scores into Datatel accurately.
- Verify accuracy of all student data.
- Maintain individual student’s files – manual and electronic.
- Ability to work effectively with high school principals, counselors, students and parents
- Ability to appropriately handle sensitive situations with students and parents.
- Ability to key information accurately under pressure.
- Ability to understand placement test scores and effectively explain them to parents and students.
- Ability to explain the basics of College and Career Promise Program requirements to students/parents.
- Exhibit calmness with parents and students who may be upset.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems students may encounter with GTCC systems.
- Explain the difference between the Early Middle College and College and Career Promise programs.
- Flexibility to assist with evening Information sessions.
- Flexibility to assist with New Student Orientations.
- Ability to understand state requirements College and Career Promise programs.
- Keep current with state regulations affecting Early Middle College and College and Career Promise students.
- Ability to update and create forms.
- Prepare and send effective emails to students regarding dates and timelines.
- Prepare information for orientation and information sessions.
- Dispose of archived student files based on College policy.
- Maintain Excel files for each school, each semester, showing complete enrollment information.
- Maintain statistics on enrollment, grades, classes and completion by school by semester.
- Provide enrollment information to the College auditing office each semester.
- Provide testing/re-testing cards for students as required.
- Serve as office manager, completing general clerical duties such as copying, filing, etc.
- Prepare purchasing documents, travel documents and other documents as requested.
- Interface with diverse student/parent population.
- Prepare payroll for part-time professional employees.
- Provide administrative support for part-time professional employees.
- Maintain Excel spreadsheets for each school each semester showing detailed information on classes.
- Maintain statistics by semester, by school showing classes, grades, and completion information.
The following (compliance) training is required and must be completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher training thereafter:
- Safety/Shooter on Campus
- Personal Information Protection Training (PIP)
- Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
- Other training may be required as determined applicable.
Posting Type Staff
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number 2018-026-REG-P
Open Date 08/17/2018
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants