New York Common Pantry, the largest community based emergency feeding organization in New York City, is seeking an Office Assistant for the Nourish program. Nourish is a program, funded by NYS Department of Health and the USDA, for the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP). This program provides food and nutrition services to low-income seniors, 60 years of age and older.
The Nourish Office Assistant position will be based out of NYCP’s Bronx office (located in Mott Haven) and report directly to the Nourish Intake/Nutrition Manager. A strong emphasis is placed on interfacing with program participants and assisting with data processing. This job is a full-time, non-exempt position; 35 hours/week, with some overtime required. The hours are 9am – 5pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and 8 am – 5 pm on Wednesdays.
The Office Assistant is responsible for the daily function and coordination of Nourish office/administrative systems; reception of visitors and program participants; and supporting the administrative needs of the Nourish staff,
Specific tasks include:
· Conduct reception of visitors and program participants
· Coordinate facilities requests and purchase orders. Complete and track check requests for program.
· Create/edit documents for Management as needed and maintain the filing system.
· Assist Director of program, and Nourish Intake Manager with specific office duties, including creating/maintaining reports.
· Enter client data into agency authorized databases and ensure accuracy of transferred information
· Receive all incoming packages, and prepare mailing for shipping
· Manage and troubleshoot all administrative equipment (i.e. copiers). Place service calls for administrative equipment with vendors and I.T. consultants as needed. Order office and program supplies as needed.
· Schedule meetings, return calls and/or emails as requested
· Support Intake Associates with program-related tasks
· At times, work in food pantry to pack food bags and organize commodities
· Task delegation, maintenance of attendance records, and direct supervision of volunteers, student interns, and temporary employees
· Assist with additional directives, as needed, from management
· Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, and process significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
· Bilingual Required (English/Spanish)
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
· Knowledge and experience with databases preferred, but not required
· Associates degree required, BS preferred. Interest in social services, health sciences and the non-profit sector strongly recommended
· Strong clerical, organizational, and written communication skills; must be detail oriented and able to multi-task.
· Must be comfortable working with diverse populations and age ranges
· Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity; flexible and proactive; demonstrate a solid work ethic
· Team player; ability to build rapport with colleagues and eagerness to be helpful with others
WORKING CONDITIONS: The Nourish Office Assistant position is located in a busy, open area office where there is frequent interruption; focused concentration is required for word processing, data entry and database work. There are many deadlines associated with this position. Flexibility is required to deal with a wide variety of people—staff, clients, volunteers and donors to NY Common Pantry.
Job Type: Full-time; 35 hours a week
What We Offer:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- Paid Holidays, Sick Days, and Vacation.
- Pre-tax Transit benefits.
- No-cost Life Insurance benefits.
NY Common Pantry is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
- office assistant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bronx, NY 10454 (Preferred)
- English and Spanish (Required)
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible