The mission of the Walgreens PGY1 Community Based Pharmacy Residency Program is to provide postgraduate training that enables residents to achieve their professional goals, become leaders within the profession, provide compassionate care for members of their communities and contribute to the Walgreens advancement in health care. The residency program is based at the Walgreens health-system pharmacy located in Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. This premier location, focused on specialty pharmacy practice, offers a variety of innovative clinical pharmacy services for patients who are prescribed complex therapies to treat conditions such as HIV/AIDS, oncology, transplant and others. The community pharmacists at this site work closely with multidisciplinary teams to provide optimal drug therapy for patients. In addition, residents gain insight into management issues that can affect the implementation of patient care services in the community pharmacy setting. The residency is offered in partnership with Rutgers University Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy. This partnership allows the resident the opportunity to gain experience in the delivery of clinical specialty pharmacy services in an ambulatory care setting. The resident actively participates in teaching and precepting experiences at Rutgers.
The resident will participate in the provision of patient care services through the following:
- Develop health and wellness programs
- Disease state management programs in oncology, transplant, HIV/AIDS, chronic inflammatory diseases, and other complex disease states
- Medication therapy management, including Limited Distribution Drugs which require REMS training
- Management of quality programs set by the Utilization
- Review Accreditation Commission (URAC)
- Pharmacist-administered immunizations
- Community outreach programs
The resident will participate in the following activities that strengthen practice management and educator skills:
- Design and conduct practice-based research projects
- Present research findings at appropriate regional and national professional meetings
- Execute marketing strategy for the promotion of patient care services
- Provide clinical instruction to student pharmacists at Rutgers and the pharmacy
Doctor of Pharmacy degree from a college or school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
Ability to obtain pharmacist license within the state of residency within 90 days of the start of the residency program
Submission of residency application materials to Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS)
Individuals must participate in and adhere to the rules of the ASHP Resident Matching Program.
Certified Immunizer or willing to become an immunizer within 90 days of hire.
Prefer six months of experience in a retail environment.
Prefer to have prior work experience with Walgreens.
Prefer good math skills so they can fill prescriptions accurately, including counting, measuring and weighing medications.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans.