Be a part of the change!
Join a team of successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our communities.
Under the general direction of the President & CEO, this position is responsible for providing strategic leadership and professional guidance to the organization, especially as related to technology and organizational operations, and is responsible for ensuring the development and implementation of effective programs and processes to support the organization’s strategic direction. This role is directly responsible for leading the areas of technology, finance, and operations. This position provides overall organizational leadership as a member of the senior leadership team.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide leadership, strategy, and team accountability for Information Technology team related to both the internal infrastructure and the externally outsourced platform.
- Set and oversee organizational technology direction, including budget.
- Oversee the organization’s primary database and resources – the administrator, maintenance, data quality, enhancement and general use of the CRM system, including efforts to incorporate data from other software applications.
- Manage IT vendors and business partnerships including hosting, managed services, consulting, equipment maintenance, software developers and telecommunications vendors.
- Collaborate with staff, vendors, consultants and volunteers to provide timely support, issue diagnosis, contract compliance and the assessment and acquisition of technology enhancements.
- Lead the data security, risk and protection policies and procedures for the organization including monitoring and response management of data incidents, corporate campaign security audits and training for all staff.
- Co-lead, with Resource Development & Marketing, the digital fundraising campaign effort – oversee the buildout and performance of websites, the security and entry of donor data and support for all technical challenges related to the annual campaign.
- Provide support to technology-related United Way of Greater Portland (UWGP) committees and United Way Worldwide (UWW) initiatives, in which UWGP participates.
Finance & Budgeting
- With Senior Director, Finance & Operations, lead the annual organizational planning and budgeting process.
- Provide leadership, strategic vision and general management support to the Finance team.
- With Senior Director, Finance & Operations provide staff support to Finance Committee.
- Collaborate with the Senior Director, Finance & Operations to set direction and accountability for the finance function.
- Support the Senior Director, Finance & Operations in achieving departmental responsibilities and implementing organizational initiatives.
- Ensure excellence in vendor and partner relations.
- Ensure compliance with all United Way Worldwide annual membership standards and be accountable for the fiscal integrity of the organization.
- With Senior Director, Finance & Operations oversee annual audit process and ensure adherence to GAAP standards.
- Regularly monitor organizational controls and identify and implement improvements.
Operations & Processes
- Review, monitor and regularly evaluate the organization’s core processes and technologies to ensure alignment with achieving organizational priorities.
- Champion organizational culture of continuous quality improvement and process excellence.
- Manage the organization risk management plan and program, including:
- Ensure organizational compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations.
- Oversee development, implementation and evaluation of all internal operating policies. Monitor and recommend changes or amendments as necessary and appropriate.
- Maintain an agency-wide emergency safety plan encompassing physical and digital disaster.
- Maintain and update organization’s insurance policies and manage certificates of liabilities.
- Maintain all documentation pertaining to UWGP facilities leasing.
- Ensure adherence to organizational planning calendar, including flow of Board, Committee, leadership team, and All Staff meetings.
- Manage plan for and execution of leadership team and All Staff meetings.
- Conduct analysis and prepare reports and presentations for President & CEO as required.
Board Development & Governance
- Provide staff support to Board Development & Governance Committee, which includes the responsibilities of Board nominations and updating Board governance documents, such as the organization’s bylaws.
- Ensure new Board member orientation and training.
- Manage Board leadership succession processes.
- Collaborate with senior staff to maintain a culture of teamwork that ensures long term organizational and community success.
- Participate in stakeholder relationship management activities and events.
- Demonstrate strong external community involvement.
- Volunteer and actively participate in organizational projects, special events, cross-functional teams or workgroups that support the work of the entire organization.
- Champion exceptional service both internally and externally.
- Remain current on trends and practices in technology, finance, continuous quality improvement, and the non-profit sector through peer association, seminar attendance, study, review of literature, and proposed legislation and review and evaluation.
- Remain current with UWW’s Finance, Information Technology, and Operations trends and best practices.
Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent. Graduate degree, especially in business or technology fields, preferred.
Required Skills and Experience
- Commitment to United Way of Greater Portland’s mission and to community change work.
- Seven (7)+ years of experience in a management or leadership role.
- Staff leadership experience required.
- Technology planning experience required.
- Strong financial knowledge necessary.
- Experience overseeing and managing multiple disciplines concurrently including: operations, accounting, finance, facilities, technology and administration.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence and proven track record of exceeding goals.
- Sound judgment and strong decision-making skills through a combination of analysis, experience, and high level of business acumen, including successful financial management.
- Experience working directly with or volunteering in a leadership role for a mission-driven organization.
- Well-honed presentation, public speaking, written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated success analyzing complex issues and developing and implementing relevant and realistic policies and programs.
- Ability to work collaboratively in furtherance of organizational priorities.
- Strong attention to detail and project management skills required.
- Demonstrated success leading disparate groups toward a common goal.
- Strategic planning leadership experience preferred.
- Directly supervise the Senior Director, Finance & Operations, Senior Technical Support Manager, and IT Associate.
- “Dotted line” supervision of the Executive Assistant.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising and evaluating performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving issues.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. With some 7:30 AM meetings and after-hours functions, this position regularly requires more than 40 hours per week.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Why choose United Way of Greater Portland?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time, and about creating community level change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent. We all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 34 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous vacation and holiday pay and paid sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Greater Portland offers:
- Convenient downtown location with free parking
- Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
- Health Club membership at a deeply discounted monthly rate
- Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program access
- Personal and floating holidays
- Paid volunteer time off
- A great team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
United Way of Greater Portland is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities, and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
United Way of Greater Portland has identified a set of Core Values that are our essential tenets. These define and describe who United Way of Greater Portland will endeavor to be in all situations, both internal and external.
At United Way of Greater Portland We are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications accepted until October 15, 2018. Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com