The Part-Time Facility Attendant is responsible for maintaining an inviting, positive, clean and safe environment at the Park District’s community centers, playgrounds, sport courts, ball fields, splash pads and Rehm trains. The Attendant is expected to clean prior to programs and after programs are done. The Attendant is expected to be visible and engaged in daily activities in and around the park, center and sport courts. The Attendant effectively communicates and enforces Park District rules, regulations, and policies to park visitors while opening and closing facilities, maintaining equipment and organizing response to accidents and incidents.
Clean facilities prior to each program and after programs are done; before leaving shift. Pick up garbage from grounds as needed. Identify and observe equipment daily for possible maintenance needs and adjustments
- Open and prepare community centers, sport courts and Rehm trains for daily activities. This includes opening public restrooms and making the facility available for programming, private rentals and/or patron use. This also may include the set up and take down of tables, chairs, equipment, etc. and the removal of snow and ice from entrances in the winter
- Check room conditions such as temperature and humidity. Report any issues to the Buildings and Grounds department and Manager as needed
- Mop restrooms and refill lavatory supplies as needed
- Report maintenance needs to supervisor; follow-up on status with supervisor and/or maintenance supervisor.
- Empty garbage receptacles in park district areas including lobby areas, multi-purpose rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, etc.
- Close and secure community center, sport courts, Rehm trains and parks at closing time and return all equipment to its proper place as specified by Park District
- Complete attendance reports, safety logs, accident and incident reports, discipline logs and report discipline issues to supervisor
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain a positive public image when working with patrons by addressing questions and concerns from staff, patrons, participants, and parents immediately. Contact and ask for assistance from supervisor or other Park District staff when necessary
- Answer phone calls. Become familiar with regular visitors to the park; know their names, personalities, and interests
- Welcome and greet patrons accessing facilities, parks and programs
- Acts resourcefully and proactively to gather programming information from sources including the program brochure, website, newsletters and from staff in order to provide the public with the most up-to-date information
- Maintains complete understanding of internet registration system and procedures
- Communicates customer and community suggestions and complaints about program and operations to supervisor
- Communicates any program changes to patrons, including updating Facility Attendant binder calendars and staff copy of brochures
- Maintain a safe and secure environment for staff, patrons and participants by supplying security for the community centers, sport courts and parks by maintaining a visible presence. Communicate and enforce Park District rules and policies to participants and patrons
- Inventory and monitor first aid kit supplies; requisition supplies as needed
- Posses a complete understanding of Park District emergency action plans and facilitates plans when required
- Conducts regular visual safety inspections of office areas and equipment and conducts written inspection upon request
- Complete weekly AED checklists to ensure AED machines are operable and report any issues
- Must be a high school graduate, possession of a GED, college coursework in Recreation, Education, Social Work, or related field preferred
- Experience also working with teens and/or youth-at-risk, especially in a recreation setting, preferred
- Certification in advanced Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), First Aid and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) within 1 month of employment and keep certification current. The District provides this training.
- Must have the ability to solve problems as they arise and be able to perform tasks without supervision
- Must be highly motivated and able to assume a positive and active role in the park, even while working under potentially stressful conditions (hot or cold weather, upset or injured park visitors, etc.)
- Must have the ability to be firm with park visitors (both youth and adults) when necessary, enforce park district rules, and make sound decisions in order to secure the safety and well-being of all park visitors, facilities, and equipment
- Must be able to complete required Park District training
- Occasionally assist with events and programs
- Check equipment out to park visitors
- Attend staff meetings and training programs as specified
- Post and remove any flyers, brochures, signs, or other information as required by Park District
- Complete other duties as assigned by supervisor or other Park District administrative personnel
- Wear a PDOP staff shirt and identification during all work hours. Follow and enforce all PDOP policies and procedures
Work Environment, Physical Demands and Considerations
- Frequent walking, standing, reaching, bending
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Will be exposed to occasional inclement weather including heat, humidity, cold, rain, snow, ice and wind
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Ability to present ideas and recommendations in a concise manner
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and/or written instructions efficiently and effectively and to read and understand printed material
- Ability to operate assigned equipment
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate well with others
- Ability to interpret and explain division and District policies and procedures
- Ability to follow safety guidelines and exercise judgment in all aspects of responsibility
- Ability to resolve conflict safely, calmly and effectively
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, functions or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, functions, activities or responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer!