Job Description Office Assistant
Summary of Responsibilities**
Responsible for registering patients, monitoring referrals, collecting copays, deductibles, cleaning the office, and scheduling appointments. Also responsible for verifying insurance information. Responsible for performing complex and multiple clerical support functions. Responsibility will also include a mix of patient testing and placing patients in exam rooms. Testing may include OCT, visual field, topography, etc. Since this is a small office, employees will have approximately 40% of their activities variable in nature to meet the current need of the office.
List of Responsibilities/Duties**
- Schedules all provider appointments, including scheduling and, when necessary, coordinating and performing ancillary testing and ensuring prior authorizations are received.
- Bumps, cancels and handles no-show appointments according to established process.
- Greets the patient, verifying all personal information (address, telephone, etc.), method of payment and insurance, collecting copayment and deductibles when applicable, entering necessary information into computer system and providing any requested information to patients.
- Cleaning the office, and maintaining its appearance
- Communicates any expected delays to patient
- Surgery scheduling
- Works with patients, families and/or staff in handling and resolving problems that occur during the course of visit.
- Using specialty specific equipment to perform testing
- Place patients in exam rooms
- Provides management with perception of physician office practice services.
- Requests, prepares and ensures the completeness of the patient medical record.
- Collects and makes change for payments received, completes receipt for patient and follows appropriate paperwork to record transaction.
- Compares daily cash amounts against daily transactions to ensure that records balance.
- Verifies and coordinates patient referrals.
- Effectively utilizes all appropriate applications of the medical record and billing systems
- Prepares accurate billing documents utilizing knowledge of ICD-10, CPT coding and managed care plans.
- Answers phone system, handles and/or directs call to appropriate area and places calls as requested by supervisor.
- Effectively manages dynamic, potentially stressful patient encounters.
- Maintains the general appearance of the waiting room, reception area, exam rooms, and straightens magazines, chairs and other light furniture.
- Maintains working knowledge of all office equipment, fax, copiers, phones, etc.
- Participates in service monitors and quality improvement programs.
- Uses excellent guest relations skills in all interactions with patients, visitors and staff.
- Must be able to lift at least twenty-five pounds
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Minimum Education Requirements**
- A high school diploma or an equivalent is required. Pending high school graduates may apply.
Minimum Background Requirements**
- Experience as a receptionist or in a position with related clerical and guest relations duties and skills are preferred.
- Experience with verifying patient insurance information is preferred
- Experience in health care is preferred.
- Bilingual is a plus
Minimum Demonstrated Skills**
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with patients, visitors, physicians, staff and other persons contacted in the course of work.
- Computer ability is heavily required including data entry, independent learning of new and unfamiliar computer programs, and typing ability
- Ability to keep pace with a high volume of patients while performing multiple, sometimes complex, tasks.
- Demonstrated excellence in management, leadership and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated excellence in communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively convey ideas and information.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Must be a creative idea-generating individual with excellent follow through abilities
Pay is competitive and no medical benefits are offered at this time.
Schedule is flexible if an employee wants to work only school hours.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $15.00 - $21.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Employees are required to wear a mask at all times.
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- Georgetown, TX (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)
- Computer Skills: 1 year (Preferred)