Provide editing and quality assurance support to a DoD client responsible for policies and programs related to the cleanup of contamination at active installations, Base Realignment and Closure locations, and Formerly Used Defense Sites properties, emerging contaminants, and environmental compliance, including water, wastewater, air, hazardous waste, and toxics, sustainability, natural and cultural resources, overseas environmental and contingency planning, and acquisition. Review and correct grammar, style, and formatting in policy memoranda, DoD issuances, including directives, instructions, and manuals, data calls, reports and briefings to Congress, fact sheets, newsletters, and presentations. Ensure written material meets client requirements and adhere to the DoD Manual for Written Material, Chicago Manual of Style, Washington Headquarters Service (WHS) templates and standards, and the Federal Plain Language Guidelines. Collaborate with project leads to comprehend the audience and objectives of each document and make recommendations to improve content, structure, and overall communication of ideas. Revise highly technical text for public consumption. Comprehend, advise clients on, and track DoD directives, instructions, and manuals through each step of the DoD WHS issuance development process, including their coordination, revisions, changes, and cancellations. Interface with clients, as required.
- 3+ years of experience with editing written products in a government or private sector environment
- Experience with writing and editing products per established government standards for federal government audiences, including proofreading drafts and final documents
- Experience with a variety of editorial, writing, and style guides, including Chicago Manual of Style, Federal Plain Language Guidelines, or DoD Manual for Written Material
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to pay strict attention to detail
- Ability to proofread for grammar and punctuation with a high level of accuracy and to increase clarity and readability in a range of written products
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects and manage time effectively
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility in responding to conflicting deadlines and priorities
- Ability to obtain a security clearance
- BA or BS degree
- 1+ years of experience with performing Internet research and using databases and web-based data management reporting systems
- Experience with supporting DoD environmental programs
- Experience with writing and editing products per established government standards for DoD audiences
- Experience with the WHS issuance process
- Experience with environmental laws, regulations, executive orders (EOs), and DoD environmental issuances, policies, and guidance for managing environmental programs, including Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act, Endangered Species Act, National Environmental Policy Act, and E.O. 13693 Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade
- Knowledge of the structure and missions of the DoD client and DoD Components
- Possession of excellent oral and written communication skills
- Possession of excellent interpersonal, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Secret clearance
Applicants selected will be subject to a security investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
We’re an EOE that empowers our people—no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other protected characteristic—to fearlessly drive change.