The Bureau of Sexually Transmitted Infections (BSTI) has the mission of improving the sexual heath of all New Yorkers. To achieve this the Bureau provides direct clinic services to people seeking sexual health care, and services to sex partners; monitors disease trends; provides education and training to providers and community groups, conducts research and develop policies to improve sexual health and wellness. The Bureau of Sexually Transmitted Infections (BSTI) operates 8 STI clinics throughout New York City (NYC). The Bureau of Sexually Transmitted Infections (BSTI) is requesting to hire a City Research Scientist, L1 to work BSTI Administraiton.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- Ensure that all new quality improvement and pilot initiatives are implemented in timely manner in clinics by working closely with clinic staff.
- Assist with STD clinic program assessments, to monitor program progress and redirect program activities to maximize effectiveness.
- Assist with the development of work plans, timelines, research in STI, and special projects, including presentations, program monitoring, scientific abstracts and reports as directed.
- Assist medical director in monthly scheduling of providers and ensure that clinics are well staffed on daily basis.
- Assist medical director in preparation of educational activities for clinicians such as CME and other educational activities for clinical staff.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in "2" above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, strong multi-tasker
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Creative thinker, dynamic personality and interest in working with clinical staff
- Willingness to travel throughout New York City to the STI clinics 3-4 times/ month
- Strong computer skills, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel required and MS Access and Statistical Analysis Software (SAS) preferred.
**IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
- A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
- Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
- Current Resume
- Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill (i.e. Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOHMH qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
"FINAL APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT & BUDGET APPROVAL”
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 406942.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Health Department is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and culturally responsive workforce. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, age, prior record
Please note this is a part-time position at 35 hours a week.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.