Position: Music Director/Accompanist
Organization: ArtStream, Inc.
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Field: Music directing; Musical theatre; Accompaniment
Employment level: Part-time 1099 contract position; 2 hours per week
Compensation: $650 stipend
ArtStream seeks part-time Music Directors to support the artistic, production and acting teams of an ArtStream Maryland Cabaret Company. The Music Director works collaboratively with director and actors to develop acts tailored to the abilities of each actor and, develop an artistic vision for the production, to create a one act cabaret performance.
ArtStream is a regional non-profit organization whose mission is to bring to individuals with disabilities creative and performance opportunities that help them gain the confidence to engage with the world.
ArtStream’s two Cabaret Companies develop and produce group and individual acts that challenges the creativity and showcases their interests of the company’s 15 actors – adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, autism, and other social and behavioral needs. A production team and several onstage volunteer mentors lead and support the actors throughout the process. Directors, Assistant Directors, and Music Directors use improv, role-play and other skill-based exercises to develop individual and group acts. Each 3 and a half month Cabaret semester culminates in live public performances showcasing each actor’s unique talents and abilities.
Each Cabaret semester is 14-weeks long with 12 two-hour weekly rehearsals; 1 technical rehearsal; and 1 performance. Schedules vary by location, please see below.
- Attend all rehearsals, technical rehearsals, performances, load-out.
- Work collaboratively with director and actors to develop acts tailored to the abilities of each actor and, develop an artistic vision for the production, to create a one act cabaret performance.
- Support actors with disabilities; accommodate their individual needs; manage behavior as necessary.
- Lead music activities in rehearsals.
- Monitor safe arrival/pick up of all actors.
- Work collaboratively with director to organize the show and make adjustments for the actors accordingly.
- Find music as necessary.
- Play accompaniment during rehearsals and performance.
- Report to Director.
- Background check
Undergraduate degree preferred; music directing experience required; strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; team player; ability to work independently with initiative and meet all deadlines; some knowledge of disability, accessibility, and inclusion practices a plus; experience and/or interest in working with individuals with disabilities; genuine desire to further develop your music directing skills; passion for theatre and a belief in the power of the arts.
Auditions: Monday, February 10, 2020, 7-9pm
Rehearsals: Mondays, February 24-May 11, 2020, 7-9pm
Round House Theatre Education Center
925 Wayne Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Tech: Sunday, May 17, 2020, 5-9pm
Performance: Monday, May 18, 7:30pm
AMP by Strathmore
11810 Grand Park Ave
North Bethesda, MD 20852
How to Apply
Email a cover letter explaining why you want to work with ArtStream and a resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; generic applications will not be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $650.00 /year
- special needs education: 1 year (Preferred)
- music directing: 1 year (Preferred)
- accompanying: 1 year (Preferred)