Who We Are
OnYourMark is an early literacy tutoring service providing virtual 1:1 individualized instruction in the foundations of literacy to Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd graders grounded in the science of reading. We partner with schools as a complement to the literacy instruction already in place to ensure students get the foundational reading skills they need to excel!
Why We Exist
Our goal is that all kids are ready for the shift from “learning to read'' to “reading to learn” in 3rd grade! Getting foundational literacy skills right before then will support children to read on grade level and diminish the need for schools to remediate at their current levels. In addition, spreading an understanding of the science of how children learn to read can be transformative for tutors, teachers, children, and families.
When you become an OnYourMark fellow, you commit to support students in becoming lifelong readers with the foundational reading skills to tackle future school and life challenges. Becoming an OnYourMark fellow is right for you if you are invested in having an impact on the lives of young people, are committed to learning new skills, and are inspired by being a part of eradicating educational inequities.
Who Should Apply
Becoming an OnYourMark fellow is perfect for college students, college-aged students taking gap years, recent high school and college graduates, and retired and part time educators. It is ideal for those who love working with children and are interested in learning more about a career in education. Successfully building tutoring skills will open up possibilities to continue as a tutor, tutor coach, and build a resume that opens doors for future opportunities in schools as teachers, leaders, and beyond.
OnYourMark fellows provide virtual high-dosage tutoring to Kindergarten through 2nd grade students grounded in the science of reading. Fellows learn how to teach an explicit phonics curriculum to support the development of foundational reading skills. This 1:1 individualized approach will increase the speed at which students develop as readers by third grade, the year that research shows students must master these skills in order to engage in increasingly complex texts as they move on in school and life.
- Time commitment: 2 hours per day per week; 1:1 virtual tutoring for the 21-22 school year; and 2 hours of coaching and professional development per week, for a total of 10 hours per week
- Build positive relationships with students to support remote learning experiences
- Manage a caseload of 3-5 students by building strong relationships, collecting data regarding progress and supporting students in their prescribed learning sequence
- Track student reading skill progress over the course of tutoring sessions
- Engage in 2 weeks (2-3 hours per day) of pre-service fellowship training and ongoing professional development through weekly professional learning sessions and one on one or small group tutor coaching sessions
- Learn from experts in the field to develop and continuously improve tutoring skills and understanding of how children learn to read based in the science of reading
- Instill the love of reading and learning in the young people with whom you work
Compensation for fellows is set by the schools in which they work and ranges from $15-$25/hr depending on school site placement and experience level/qualifications.
To apply, please head here: https://apply.workable.com/j/E2C8CA4858
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $15.00 - $25.00 per hour
Work Location: Remote