Job Title: Leasing Assistant
Reports to: Leasing Manager
Status: Full-time, Mon - Fri
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Job Location: Brooklyn & Manhattan
The Leasing Assistant is a critical member of the Leasing and Compliance team whose primary responsibility is to support low-income and special needs tenants to apply for and retain occupancy in Lantern's supportive housing portfolio.
The Leasing Assistant provides direct, onsite clerical support to the Leasing Manager and Leasing Specialist, ensuring complete follow-through and follow-up on assigned responsibilities. This position requires a working knowledge of leasing, leasing renewals, HPD recertification, and an understanding of NYC housing initiatives and their application to help clients maintain housing stability. The position requires schedule flexibility to meet operational needs and requires traveling between different job sites.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Collect, print, copy, scan and submit applicant eligibility documentation to Leasing Specialist for review of subsidy applications.
- Obtains client signature on lease, subsidy application and other forms as required.
- Collects income documentation with LCS Staff from clients and update Tenant Income Certification forms in coordination with LCA.
- Create and assist with maintaining tenant files, and obtaining and maintaining all required supporting documentation for rental subsidy agencies, and syndicator requirements, which include LIHTC and Tax Credit
- Schedule appointments and collects documentation in preparation of lease renewals, recertification packages and provides documentation to Leasing Specialist.
- Collects rent checks from clients, distributes rent payment envelopes to appropriate clients and provides rent receipts to clients.
- File and maintain all new and existing tenant files.
- Distribute rent reminders, rent notices, lease renewals notices and or general notices to tenants as needed.
- Assist with and address tenant inquires and provide follow up information to Leasing Specialist.
- Provide administrative support to Leasing Specialist and other tasks as needed.
- Associate or Bachelors in psychology, business administration, human services or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 2 years of leasing and leasing renewal experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience providing direct service to one or more of the following populations: persons living with AIDS /HIV, formerly and chronically homeless persons and families, young adults aged out of foster care, persons with mental illness, or persons in recovery from addiction.
- Must have initiative with the ability to work well under pressure, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills, with knowledge of Microsoft suite and comfort working in Excel
- Excellent communication skills both orally and written.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, mental health, substance use or chronically homelessness population
Job Type: Full-time