Performs duties that support the efficient workflow of the laboratory. Duties may include obtaining patient specimens, processing laboratory specimens, patient registration and/or performing CLIA waived patient testing within the laboratory.
- Collects and/or processes patient blood obtained by venipuncture and/or capillary puncture timely and accurate.
- Processes nonblood patient specimens in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Assists in specimen preparation, receipt, and transport of patient specimens.
- Performs patient registration.
- Provides phone support for patient care areas in a polite and supportive manner.
- Maintains competency with hospital and laboratory information systems as needed to perform job duties.
- Trains new team members and/or students in the department including any standard work processes applicable to the work area.
Works in a fast-paced clinical environment. Works in an area that contains biohazardous (infectious) materials along with chemical, fire, and mechanical hazards. Duties may involve standing, walking, stretching, stooping, bending, and lifting light (20 pound) to moderately heavy (50 pound) loads. Some latex exposure may be expected. Wears appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times while working with patient specimens.
Education, Experience and Certifications
High School Diploma or GED required; Certification in phlebotomy preferred for facilities where phlebotomy is an assigned duty.