The Archer Library Director is a library professional with experience in developing and implementing a vision for creating an innovative learning environment using new and emerging technologies to meet the needs of faculty, staff, and students. This position is responsible for leading a team which values the individual student and offers unique educational experiences related to information resources. The director will embrace the university’s commitment to character education rooted in our Christian heritage and champion the ethos of the Brethren heritage along with the Mission, Vision and Values of the University.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides effective and visionary leadership to the library and its personnel.
- Develops, communicates and implements a vision of library priorities, services and strategic directions compatible with the mission of Ashland University.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of the library’s strategic plan in conjunction with the university’s overall strategic plan.
- Reviews and modifies the library processes to ensure efficient, cost-effective and quality services.
- Plans for and develops policies, procedures, services, collection development and other resources to meet the curricular needs of the academic colleges and the university.
- Attends OhioLINK Independent Directors meetings to keep current on OhioLINK resources and procedures.
- Supervises the library building to ensure facilities are safe, accessible, effective and inviting and collaborates with other student-centered service units in the building.
- Provides direct supervision, mentoring and professional development of library staff; develops job descriptions, formulates performance standards, conducts evaluations and initiates personnel actions.
- Provides leadership for budgetary development, and budgetary management.
- Serves on several University committees.
- Collaborates with campus IT department to ensure provisions of library resources and services.
- Serves as copyright officer for the library.
- Accepts the rights and responsibilities of a Faculty Librarian as outlined in the Faculty Rules and Regulations
- Works with appropriate units to cultivate external funding sources and advocate for library needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Provost.