This position is located in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Office of Supervision Examinations, Southeast Regional Office. The incumbent will perform substantive technical and administrative duties in support of the office.
See our tips on the application process and printable checklist to ensure each step of the application is completed.
The following are the duties of this position at the CN-42 (Broadly equivalent to the GS-9). If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
Manage and/or personally perform all administrative work associated with the day-to-day management of the office.
Manage calendars, make meeting and travel commitments for the Regional Director, and other staff members based on an understanding of programs and priorities
Coordinate and facilitate the administrative work internally and externally with other offices throughout the Bureau
Serve as technical resource for and assist with day- to-day activities of administrative and clerical support personnel who provide services to subordinate managers and senior staff.
Monitor all office administrative functions and transactions; track status of projects, program operations, and response to correspondence and other requests; advise the Regional Director of any potential shortfalls; and recommend solutions to deal with Office and administrative concerns.
Occasional travel - occasional travel may be required
Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Conditions of Employment
Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
You must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National
Public Trust background Investigation will be required
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.
This opportunity is also open to the public under Announcement #19-CFPB-221-P. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
You must meet the following requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
For the CN-42, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the CN-41 grade level in the Federal service (For qualification purposes, the CN41 is broadly equivalent to the GS-8). Specialized experience for this position is defined as performing the following administrative support functions:
Interpreting and applying regulations, policies and procedures to perform a variety of administrative support duties; AND
Gathering and consolidating data to respond to factual requests for program information; AND
Coordinating and tracking correspondence and other documents; AND
Extensive use of a variety of computer programs to prepare correspondence, reports, spreadsheets, graphs, memorandum, and forms; AND
Experience coordinating meetings and travel commitments for senior leaders; AND
Experience managing executives electronic appointment calendars
For the CN-41, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the CN-33 grade level in the Federal service (For qualification purposes, the CN33 is broadly equivalent to the GS-7). Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
Experience performing a wide variety of clerical and administrative duties; AND
Experience using a variety of computer programs to prepare correspondence, reports, spreadsheets, graphs, memorandum, and forms; AND
Preparing travel arrangements, and reviewing travel vouchers; AND
Experience managing appointment calendars; AND
Experience preparing letters, memorandum, and email correspondence for senior leaders
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This announcement may be used to fill like positions in other organizations within the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- Ethics: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau employees are subject to government-wide ethical standards of conduct, financial disclosure requirements, and post-employment prohibitions, which applicants may review at www.oge.gov. In addition, employees must comply with the Supplemental Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (5 CFR 9401), which, among other things, prohibit an employee or the employee’s spouse or minor child from owning or controlling a debt or equity interest in an entity supervised by the Bureau. Regulations also impose restrictions on the outside activities of certain Bureau employees, including examiners and attorneys. Applicants may review the Bureau's ethics regulations and a summary of the regulations at www.consumerfinance.gov. Questions regarding these requirements and prohibitions should be directed to the Bureau Ethics Office at EthicsHelp@cfpb.gov.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your résumé may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
Providing Quality Results
Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)) you must receive a score of 90 or better to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
Please ensure all required documents, including any required work samples, narratives, or other materials as stated in this announcement, are attached to your application package. Documents can be uploaded under the category of “Cover Letter”.
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips.
CURRENT AND FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES -Documentation Relating to Your Federal Employment:
- If you are a current Consumer Financial Protection Bureau employee in a permanent, competitive service position you do not need to submit documents to confirm your status.
- If you are a current Consumer Financial Protection Bureau employee who is reinstatement eligible based on prior federal competitive service, you must submit documents to confirm your eligibility.
You must submit an SF-50 which confirms both competitive status eligibility as well has highest grade/pay band level achieved. This may require that you submit more than one SF-50.
To verify your competitive status:
Box 34 must have a “1” and Box 24 must have a “1” or a “2”
If you are currently on a Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA), submit a copy of an SF-50 showing that. Also, you must submit a copy of your DD214 or other documentation showing dates of service and type of discharge and any other applicable documents such as SF-15, VA letters, etc.
- Indicate on your application the highest permanent grade you have held; if this grade is different from your current grade, submit a copy of an additional SF-50 showing this grade.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents you must submit in order to be eligible.
If you are applying under a special hiring authority (e.g. Military Spouses, Interchange Agreement, VEOA, VRA, Schedule A Disability, etc.), please see applicant guide for required documentation. In order to be eligible under one of these authorities, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau determines the salary offer for each selectee based primarily on three key factors:
The selectee’s directly related experience at the same level as the position
The selectee’s overall experience in a particular industry or area
The salaries of other Bureau employees in similar positions and with similar levels of experience.
We also take the selectee’s skill set into account. Applicants should note that salary offers seldom fall near the upper end of the salary range as listed in this vacancy announcement. Salary may be set from the minimum of the salary range to the midpoint of the salary range. In some instances, based on a selectee’s extensive experience directly related to the position, salary may be set at or above the mid-point up to the maximum salary for that band level.
See information on our base pay ranges and salary structure.
Our comprehensive benefits are among the most generous in the federal government. They include:
- Challenging and rewarding work benefiting American consumers
- Opportunities for development and advancement
- Comprehensive Federal health, vision, dental, life, and long-term care insurance programs
- Learn more about Federal benefits programs at: http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201310_cfpb_benefits.pdf
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.