- Qualified applicants should submit a resume, cover letter referencing Career Opportunity FY20-04, list of professional references (at least three), and Application for Judicial Branch Federal Employment (AO78). The application can be found at: https://www.nyeb.uscourts.gov/sites/nyeb/files/AO_078.pdf. *
The United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York is accepting applications for the position of Human Resources Assistant. The incumbent provides administrative and technical support for human resources programs, personnel transactions, and/or training activities, in accordance with approved policies and procedures. The incumbent reports to the Human Resources Specialist.
- Assist with processing a variety of human resources and payroll actions such as appointments, promotions, separations, terminations, within grade increases, and changes to benefit elections. Maintain automated personnel record system.
- Assist with recruitment efforts, such as preparing and distributing announcements, coordinating interviews, and conducting reference checks. Assist with creating and classifying position descriptions. Assist in administering background and investigation checks, employment tests, and issuing credentials and identification cards.
- Assist with onboarding Chambers, Clerk’s Office staff and interns.
- Process Workers’ Compensation claim forms and Temporary Continuance of Coverage requests. Gather data for required reports, such as telework and fair employment practices.
- Assist with researching, developing, and recommending human resources related procedures or policies for the court.
- Assist with benefits program coordination including maintaining and distributing benefits materials, processing forms, and addressing routine benefits questions and resolving benefits issues.
- Assist with training activities related to human resources matters within the court unit, such as maintaining training records, assisting with preparing materials and resources, and scheduling resources (e.g., meeting rooms, web-based resources, etc.)
- Perform reception duties by greeting visitors/callers in person and on the telephone, answering routine questions, and directing visitors/callers to the appropriate person or department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate is required to have a high school diploma or equivalent; however, a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business, or Public Administration is preferred. A minimum of two (2) years of work related clerical or administrative experience is required. The candidate must also have one (1) year of specialized administrative experience in applying knowledge of the rules, regulations, procedures and practice of human resources administration, and involving routine use of automated human resources systems. The candidate should be able to work independently as well as in a team environment and possess a strong work ethic. Ability to maintain confidentiality and consistently demonstrate sound judgment, and experience in handling sensitive material is required. The candidate should possess strong organizational, analytical, and verbal and written communication skills. The incumbent must be proficient in the use of automated equipment including word processing in Microsoft Word, spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel, and database applications, as well as automated human resources systems and other computer-based systems used to process human resources information and transactions.
10 Paid Federal Holidays
13 Annual Leave Days (per year for the first three years)
20 Annual Leave Days (after three years)
26 Annual Leave Days (after fifteen years)
13 Sick Leave Days
Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan
Thrift Savings Plan
Federal Employees Group Life Insurance
Long-Term Care Insurance
Federal Employees Dental/Vision Plans
Federal Employees Retirement System Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan
Fitness Center Membership (fee required)
Flexible Spending Accounts:
HealthCare Reimbursement Account
Dependent Care Reimbursement Account
The United States Bankruptcy Court is part of the Judicial Branch of the U.S. Government. All applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanently eligible to work in the United States. The Federal Financial Management Reform Act requires direct deposit of federal wages. All court employees are required to adhere to a Code of Conduct. Judiciary employees serve under excepted appointments (not civil service) and are at will employees.
Conditions of Employment:
As a condition of employment, the selected candidate must successfully complete an Office of Personnel Management background investigation including an FBI National Criminal History Fingerprint check. Employment will be considered provisional, pending a favorable suitability determination based on the results of the background investigation.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume, cover letter referencing Career Opportunity FY20-04, list of professional references (at least three), and Application for Judicial Branch Federal Employment (AO78). The application can be found at: https://www.nyeb.uscourts.gov/sites/nyeb/files/AO_078.pdf. Applicants who fail to submit a complete application package will not be considered.
To find more information on how to submit your complete application via email, view the full career opportunity announcement at: https://www.nyeb.uscourts.gov/working-federal-courts
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Phone calls will not be accepted. The
Court reserves the right to modify, withdraw, or fill the Career Opportunity at any time, any of
which may occur without prior written or other notice.
Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or eligible to work in the Federal U.S. Court System
The U.S. Bankruptcy Court is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $48,880.00 - $79,508.00 per year
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Schedule
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
- human resources: 2 years (Required)
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Temporarily due to COVID-19