Combining work, life, and play. We're creating and fostering a diverse community of climbers, creatives, fitness enthusiasts, and entrepreneurs all under one roof. Our community is our lifeblood. Whether it's through special events, climbing classes, or everyday interactions in our collaborative workspaces, our work is motivated by our commitment to providing them with inspiring experiences and exceptional opportunities.
Brooklyn Boulders has embarked on a mission to create a Lifestyle-based Ecosystem and the VP of Strategy and Development will play a key role in ensuring the company reaches its strategic vision. It is the VP’s responsibility to align the key functions of strategy planning, business development, organizational growth, process improvement, financial planning, information technology, and execute the plan in close collaboration with all key departments.
We’re looking for a VP of Strategy & Development (VP S&D) that will oversee and support the execution of the following: Brooklyn Boulders company’s 5-year and 10-year Strategy, the launch of new business ventures including the large-format, lifestyle facilities, and the development of the company’s new facilities including the design and execution of related capital expenditure. The VP of S&D will therefore lead the team focused on identifying, developing and executing new business initiatives and defining and executing the company’s business plan. The VP will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Board and other members of senior management in both operating and strategic matters.
The VP of S&G is part of our Executive Team and will be based in Denver, Colorado at Brooklyn Boulders’ HQ. It’s time toget weirdwith Brooklyn Boulders.
Company Strategy and Execution:
- Develop the company’s 5-year and 10-year strategic roadmap alongside other members of the Executive team.
- Take the 5-year and 10-year roadmap and translate it into an actionable plan. Actionable plan then needs to be integrated into an agile process to ensure proper execution company wide. This role is expected to drive the process through and through.
- Think at a very high level in order to support the realization of the company’s vision but also be able to execute when the rubber meets the road.
- Communicate the strategy at all levels of the organization in a relentless, highly impactful and coordinated fashion.
- Lead and facilitate the annual, corporate strategic planning process with the leadership team and functional leaders.
- Ensure annual planning process is coordinated across strategic planning, capital planning, annual budgeting, product roadmap development, investment allocation and innovation roadmap.
- Develop, manage and routinely communicate performance through an enterprise-wide, dashboard to help leaders understand progress against the corporate strategy.
New Business Development and Launch:
- Find opportunities to create new businesses, products, and initiatives to realize BKB’s North Star “Becoming Superhuman Together.”
- Drive the launch of new business opportunities including the creation and implementation of a business plan and documentation and the associated developmental and operational roadmap.
- Look for Joint Venture, M&A, and Partnership opportunities to aggressively grow the company.
- Conduct market landscape research and analysis designed to surface new opportunities for Brooklyn Boulders to compete and create value for all stakeholders including guests, members, and shareholders.
- Work with leaders of other departments to ensure strategic business plans are successfully executed. Strategy execution includes identifying and developing the necessary processes to link the strategic objectives to the workflow of other departments, thereby enabling an effectively coordinated implementation.
New Facility Development and Launch:
- Oversee the Development Team including the Development Director, Design Director, and Environment Director including any other role needed to execute in the Design, Execution, and Launch phases of new facilities including both small and large format facilities.
- Support the design phase of new projects including data-based square footage allocation, interior design to represent the BKB lifestyle brand, and FF&E. Consistently looking for ways to innovate and disrupt what was previously done will be key to success.
- Creation and control of the development budgets construction cost, operational modeling and forecasting.
- Oversight of multiple projects in several states / regions from concept planning phase through design development and construction documents for permitting agencies within an agreed time frame based upon the approved construction pace schedule.
- Relentless review of opportunities in building, design, and technology related to facility operations and experience to drive the BKB experience
- Provide research and coordinate investigative reports on new technology and design opportunities to increase the value, speed, cost effectiveness for building the BKB facilities.
- Establish strong goals for the opening of new facilities including yr 1 revenue & EBITDA, payback period and looking to optimize the LTV: COCA ratio.
- Work in close coordination with members of the Culture Team and Sales and Marketing Team to seamlessly bridge the launch and initial facility opening phases.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- 10+ years of related professional experience.
- 8+ years in management including leading a team.
- BA or BS degree in Marketing, Business, Merchandising or related field and 10+ years of experience in Management Consulting, Strategic Planning, Business Development, Market Research, Investment Banking, Private Equity, or a related field. Experience with the application of consumer insights in developing long range brand business strategy considered a strong plus. MBA preferred.
- Development/ Construction Management/ Architecture degree (or comparable experience and degree) and 10+ years of related development experience in Management, Strategic Planning, Business Development, Construction, etc.
- Climbing and fitness Industry experience is a plus!
- Understanding of key sustainability concepts and experience implementing environmental and/or social sustainability strategies a strong plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and inspire a broad range of individuals to work toward a common goal.
- Must have a track record in re-establishing procedures, implementing key marketing and sales initiatives and executing processes.
- Excellent communications and presentation skills, both written and verbal, including a strong ability to distill large financial and operational data sets and to craft strategic narratives. Must be able to connect work to the "big picture" brand and business goals.
- Strong judgment, problem-solving and analytical skills, including regression, statistical modeling and company valuation.
- Demonstrated track record of academic and/or professional achievement.
- Understanding of global lifestyle and lead market dynamics. Updated on current macroeconomic, consumer, competitor and customer trends.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain positive relationships with high-level internal customers. Must be able to perform under pressure, short deadlines and in high visibility settings.
- Ability to work cross functionally at all levels of the organization and to manage and prioritize multiple tasks on very tight deadlines. Strong project management, strategic communications and cross collaboration/influencing skills.
- Entrepreneurial orientation, client-service mentality and sensitivity in working across cultures are required.
- Travel required: up to 50%.
*PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY THROUGH OUR CAREERS PAGE VIA THE FOLLOWING URL:
Job Type: Full-time