Oasis Sanctuary Foundation, Ltd
Position: Avian Care Specialist
Full Time Positions Open – seeking a couple (see below)
The Oasis Sanctuary is seeking a couple who are both passionate and dedicated to providing daily care and a deep devotion to the 800 birds who call The Oasis home. HOWEVER, Individual applicants with interest, and meeting all job requirements, may apply for consideration.
We are a nonprofit, life-care facility for captive exotic Psittacines (parrots), although we do accept other captive avian species. As a sanctuary, we do not sell, breed or offer birds for adoption. We offer the birds a stable and loving home for the duration of their natural lives. The sanctuary facility is located in rural southeastern Arizona, 26 miles north of the town of Benson.
We are seeking passionate long-term caregivers who desire to help parrots in need. This is not just a “job”, but a lifestyle- living and working at the sanctuary with a small team requires an investment in the parrots. The work is physical, can be emotional and often unglamorous but you will gain a deep satisfaction from caring for these long lived, sentient birds who have generally been exploited by the pet trade.
Visit our web-site at www.the-oasis.org to learn about the important work we do.
Our Caregivers must have a genuine interest in parrots and their wellbeing. Our team must be fully committed to the time and hard work it takes to provide our residents a safe, secure and happy life. Caring for hundreds of parrots in our fast paced environment requires structure, time management and team work. You need to be someone who likes people too, and can be warm and friendly with your team, visitors and volunteers.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Daily feeding, which includes cleaning of food bowls and feeding areas, and preparing diets;
- Daily cleaning and maintenance of all cages and enclosures
- Monitoring and documenting the health of all animals and providing supportive medical care as needed, including administering medications;
- Providing enrichment and socialization interactions for happy and healthy birds
- Maintaining sanctuary grounds
- Provide supervision, guidance and support to volunteers
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Full time position-40 hours per week, plus overtime as directed by management. Employees are scheduled to work 5 days with a 2-day weekend, however, flexibility in hours worked is necessary. You must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
Desired Skills, Qualities and Competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge and familiarity of psittacines, appropriate care, handling techniques and understanding of their behavior in captivity is preferred. We will consider training the right person who is willing to learn about the unique care and needs of parrots and is committed to their care
- Veterinary Assistant or Tech experience, or prior experience in an animal rescue, zoo or conservation setting is beneficial
- Mechanical or maintenance skills a plus
- Compassion and positivity for the animals and your team a must
- Able and willing to fully support Oasis Sanctuary’s strategic plan, and advocate our mission and values
- Dependability and ability to maintain a sound work ethic in our fast paced, task driven operation is required
- Able to work independently but be cohesive with the team
- Excellent time management skills, logical thinking and ability to apply common sense to critical operational details, processes and timelines
- Excellent observational skills and demonstrated attention to detail
- Must be willing to live in Oasis provided housing in our rural community of Cascabel
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and reliable vehicle capable of handling county maintained dirt roads
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background check
- Must be able to perform regular, strenuous duties in all desert weather conditions-from freezing in winter to over 100 degrees in the summer. This job will have you on your feet all day and requires endurance and physical strength
- Must have the ability to routinely lift and carry 50 pounds
- Must be physically able to regularly walk, lift, bend, reach, kneel and stand for long periods
- Must be able to work in our indoor and outdoor dusty environments. Allergens are heavy due to desert dust and bird dander/dust
- Must be able to tolerate high levels of noise. Earplugs are recommended
- You will be exposed to animal waste and unpredictable, potentially aggressive parrots
As part of the application process, applicants who progress through the initial interview process will be invited to travel to the sanctuary and volunteer a minimum of 4 days. We can offer accommodations on site and transportation to and from the airport. Reasonable travel expenses are covered for applicants who are invited to join us for a working interview. Food is at the applicant’s expense. We believe a visit to the sanctuary is a critical part of the hiring process, and this working interview benefits you and us. We want you to be confident and comfortable with the needs of the position, the rural lifestyle and the team you would be a part of.
- Hourly wage $13.85/hour minimum, plus housing and essential utilities which equates to $7500 in compensation annually (based on regional rents and utilities).
- Housing provided rent free. Most pets welcome.
- Essential utilities provided (electric, gas, water, trash removal)
- Non-essential utilities to be covered by employee (phone, internet, satellite/cable TV, etc)
- Modest health insurance allotment for employees carrying individual health insurance plans
- Dental Discount plan available
- Sick and vacation time offered
The Oasis Sanctuary Foundation, 501(c)(3) - EIN 86-0885646, Cascabel/Benson, Arizona
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $13.85 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- On call
- Weekend availability
Work Location: One location