Job Title: Molecular Technologist
Molecular Technologists are responsible for performing various molecular techniques that include, but are not limited to, formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue macro-dissection, RNA/DNA extractions, PCR, RFLP, Cobas, DNA methylation analysis, Sanger sequencing, Next Generation sequencing, equipment maintenance, laboratory inventory, sample tracking, ordering supplies, receiving packages, and training Molecular Technologists and Lab Operation Specialists. This position works under the direction of the supervisor and follows standard laboratory procedures and policies.
1. Sample preparation, including formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue macro-dissection.
2. Performs RNA and/or DNA extractions for daily molecular testing and ensures correct patient labeling.
3. Performs molecular techniques such as real-time PCR, Sanger sequencing, Next Generation sequencing, RFLP, Cobas, and DNA Methylation analysis.
4. Prepares Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) documents for nonconformance events observed during the pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical clinical laboratory testing.
5. Performs Proficiency Testing in a timely manner and submits results to Supervisors.
6. Conducts validation testing for new clinical assays.
7. Tracks, enters, and monitors patient files using the Laboratory Information System.
8. Trains Molecular Lab Operations Specialists and Molecular Technologists in new technologies or upon hire.
9. Maintains laboratory equipment, including completing logs and maintenance, i.e. clean, sterilize, maintain, and shut down laboratory equipment, accessories, and instruments used in research experiments, daily and weekly as required.
10. Unpacks reagent orders as received; logs them in the reagent database; creates labels, tracking documentation, and QC forms; and stores them in the proper location and conditions.
11. Prepares monthly reagent QC schedules and the appropriate paperwork for reagent QCs.
12. Accepts other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
1. Demonstrated skills in technical data interpretation and ability to troubleshoot.
2. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook, general working knowledge of Internet for business use, and skilled in operating office equipment such as fax machines and copiers.
3. Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
4. Drive for Results (Service, Quality, and Continuous Improvement) – ensure procedures and processes are in place that lead to delivery of quality results and continually reassess their effectiveness to achieve continuous improvement.
5. Communication – Proficient verbal and written communication skills. Willingness to share and receive information and ideas from all levels of the organization in order to achieve the desired results.
6. Teamwork – Commitment to the successful achievement of team and organizational goals through a desire to participate with and help other members of the team.
7. Customer Service Focus – Demonstrate a focus on listening to and understanding client/customer needs and then delighting the client/customer by exceeding service and quality expectations.
8. Knowledge of laboratory safety procedures for biohazards and chemicals, as well as quality control procedures and regulations.
9. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Proven attention to detail with effective organizational skills.
Education, Certification/Licensure, and/or Experience:
1. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a science field required.
2. Minimum of two years post-graduation experience for a Bachelors working in a laboratory (clinical preferred).
3. Must possess relevant molecular skill set consisting of molecular fundamentals such as: Next Gen Sequencing, RNA and DNA extraction, PCR, reverse transcription, and gel electrophoresis.
4. Experience with real-time PCR, microarray, fragment analysis, Sanger sequencing preferred.
5. Demonstrate clear ability to explain previous molecular assay experience; including the function of positive/negative controls, sample results, and data interpretation.
6. CLSp(MB), MB(ASCP) certification preferred.
1. Will work at a computer some of the time as well as need to keep inventory and ordering records requiring the use of copiers, fax machines, and PDF scanners.
2. Visual acuity and analytical skill to distinguish fine detail. Ability to pass a visual color discrimination test.
3. Manual dexterity to use common laboratory equipment and perform sterile techniques as required.
4. Must possess ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
5. Must possess ability to perform repetitive motion.
6. Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
7. May have exposure to high noise levels, fumes and bio-hazardous material in the lab environment. Exposure to formaldehyde, xylene, Clorox Bleach, DAB and alcohol which emit fumes. The formaldehyde, xylene, and DAB are carcinogenic.
8. May be required to handle blood-borne pathogens and general laboratory reagents.
9. May have exposure to extreme temperatures, high noise levels, fumes and bio-hazardous material/chemicals including formalin in the lab environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $22.00 - $32.00 per hour
- formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue macro-dissection: 3 years (Required)
- Next Generation Sequencing: 3 years (Required)
- RNA/DNA extractions: 3 years (Required)
- Laboratory post Bachelors: 2 years (Required)
- PCR: 3 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
- Holidays required
- Day shift
- Night shift
- Overnight shift
- Only full-time employees eligible