Since 1915, Home State Bank's goal has been to create a better quality of life for our neighbors and to work together to build a better community. Today, that goal is still the cornerstone of our success. We believe that relationships with our customers are our most important assets and we strive to provide the best service possible every day. Home State Bank has a Paralegal opening for our Trust Department in Crystal Lake, IL.
2018 NW Herald McHenry County Top Workplaces Awards
-Voted BEST - Business to Business company
- BEST Financial Institution/Service
- Voted One of the Best - Family Owned Business
- Voted One of the Best - Large Employer (100+ employees)
At Home State Bank N.A. Trust & Wealth Management we specialize in wealth management and fiduciary services for individuals, families and organizations. Professional fiduciary services include investment management and administration of trusts, probate estates, agencies, custodies, land trusts, IRAs, guardianships, 1031 exchanges and other fiduciary services.
The Paralegal will be responsible for delivering exceptional client service and managing administrative accounts, managing trust, estate, guardianships and other fiduciary services. The Paralegal will be responsible for account specific administrative tasks including communication with clients and third-party organizations, as well as support in completing back-office department functions. The Paralegal will be responsible for an account load and assisting officers in other matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform all functions as necessary to properly administer all aspects of accounts handled in the department. Investment management, account openings, ongoing administration, reviews, account closings, ongoing client contact, problem resolution, accounting preparation.
- Handling paperwork, organizing files, managing databases, and many other related tasks.
- Manage accounts and make appropriate changes to accounts, trusts, estate and agency accounts to retain and grow client relationships.
- Prepare monthly account reviews and assist with preparation of the monthly board trust packet.
- Learn Land Trust Administration-preparation, review and execute documents.
- Firstline of communication with clients on requests, customer problems and needs and other matters related to accounts.
- Manage the transferring and closing documents related to re-registering of securities for accounts.
- Local travel to estate houses, client homes, courthouse, attorney offices and accountant offices, as needed.
- Coordinate and obtain appraisals on estate inventory, as needed.
- Complete all compliance & other training courses by their due dates.
- Assist the department with all audits internal and external examiners.
- Ability to work in team environment as a leader and work with all levels within the organization in a professional manner.
- Contact service providers, government agencies, financial and insurance institutions and other related parties when necessary for account administration purposes.
- Preparation of Guardianship accountings for annual filing with courts.
- Office administration duties when necessary to maintain service levels.
- Prepare discretionary forms for client accounts.
- Check and prepare fee logs and calculations for trust and estates as needed.
- Obtain cost basis information/estate valuations.
- Ensure all trust documentation is correctly signed and is logged and placed in secure vault.
- Prepare various forms of written communications to clients and third-party organizations.
- Takes part in bank events during and after hours.
- Learn investment models and how to apply them in a manner consistent with the clients' investment objectives. Learn to implement the portfolio strategy decisions of the Trust Investment Department across client accounts to insure consistency of performance outcomes.
- Stay current on trust and estate updates.
- Follow the Home State Bank Code of Conduct and Ethics and other related policies, modeling the ethical behavior expected from every employee within Home State Bank. Set the example and maintain ethical behavior at all time.
- Perform and assume other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Familiarity with Illinois Probate & Trusts and Trustees Act.
- Leadership skills, a self-starter with accountability
- High attention to detail, accuracy and timelines
- Internal/ external customer relations skills
- Knowledge of banking regulations.
- Word processing and spreadsheets
- Advanced communications skills and refined telephone etiquette
- Ability to handle several projects simultaneously-multi-task
- Professional appearance
- Ability to complete time sensitive tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Sound judgment, problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Well-developed interpersonal, listening and written and oral communication skills in-order to communicate and relate effectively with client, associates, vendors, etc.
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with both customers and employees.
- Strong analytical /critical thinking skills.
- Willingness and ability to learn coupled with a strong work ethic.
- Strong analytical /critical thinking skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize multiple/competing tasks while working with deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidential customer information.
- Must be able to work in a team environment with the ability to interact well, and in a positive manner, with peers and upper management.
- The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree preferred (business, finance, economics, accounting, legal/paralegal /or similar field of education desirable)
- Paralegal students interested in pursuing trust and estate administration will be considered.
- Minimum of 0-5 years of banking or trust services experience.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Knowledge and experience with banking and/or trust software.
- Office 365 experience preferred.
- Attendance at various banking schools preferred.
- Experienced professional with proven ability to identify and cultivate relationships with Center of Influences (COI’s) preferred.
- Proved relationship building and client management experience preferred.
- Time management skills.
- Assesses and effectively manage all the risks associated with their objectives and activities to ensure activities are in alignment with the bank’s and department’s risk appetite and risk management framework.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
- Typical office environment with exposure to moderate noise levels.
- The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Adherence to established policies and procedures pertinent to the position which include but are not limited to BSA, Privacy, CRA and Safeguarding Customer Information together with periodic training and testing will also be required.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Home State Bank is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Job Type: Full-time