Bryant Park Corporation seeks part-time staff with fine arts or education experience to oversee the Art Cart amenity. The Art Cart is a free-standing cart located on the Fifth Avenue Terrace (in front of the New York Public Library) that must be supervised, offering free drawing and craft supplies to the public.
While the Host will spend the bulk of their time at the Art Cart, they will occasionally be asked to work shifts at the park’s game areas, which include ping pong, board games, and a putting green. They are expected to be enthusiastic and flexible when working at these other areas.
Responsibilities for each area vary slightly but all include:
- Setting up each activity area at the start of the day and making it available for public use
- Maintaining appearance of activity areas throughout the day by cleaning equipment, picking up litter, and neatly storing supplies not in use
- Engaging the public, fostering participation, and ensuring respectful use of the space
- Considering ways to improve the activities offered to the public, then reporting observations accurately and comprehensively to supervisor.
Host is expected to uphold the employer’s mission: to create a rich and dynamic visual, cultural, and intellectual outdoor experience for New Yorkers and visitors alike in one of the greatest public spaces in the world. Successful hosts may have opportunities for growth, including working in the Bryant Park executive office, proposing new programs for the public, and supervising daily operations.
Applicants can preview the Art Cart and other game areas by visiting bryantpark.org and looking under the ‘Things to Do’ tab.
Qualified applicants may be recommended for similar Host positions at Herald & Greeley Square Parks in Midtown. Hosts work 20-40 hours per week.
- BA preferred – consideration given to undergraduate work plus experience in arts education, arts therapy, or similar
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work in a team environment
- Willingness and desire to get hands dirty
- Outgoing, playful, mature, positive, and proactive
- Experience in customer service
- Responsible and detail-oriented with excellent observation skills
- Ability and willingness to work exclusively outside and stand for long periods of time
- Ability and willingness to lift 25 pounds or more
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Ability and willingness to staff large Bryant Park events, including Film Festival and Musical Chairs
- Ability to update an online spreadsheet on a tablet to document visitor counts and daily observations
- Access to a cell phone with photo and texting capability
- Access and responsiveness to email
- Communicate politely and positively with the public and serve as an ambassador of the park
- Open and close the Art Cart on a daily basis, on a strict schedule.
- Teach basic drawing and art skills, and adapt teaching to different age and skill levels.
- Manage the amount of materials released to each Art Cart participant; report supply needs and behavior incidents in a timelymanner.
- Enforce area and park rules.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization at the Art Cart.
- Staff and assist with special workshops and events at the Art Cart.
- Lead weekly “Kids Corner” workshops at the Art Cart.
- Record and report the number of visitors.
- Fill in for other amenity areas as needed, and follow procedures for these areas.
- Take direction from management staff regarding special assignments.
Position begins with a three-week trial period. Hosts who receive a passing evaluation after 3 weeks will be invited to continue in their position.
Position runs from mid- April through mid-October. Hours are generally 11am-7pm, with some exceptions that will be discussed in advance. Preference will be given to candidates with flexible schedules, and a genuine desire to work hard.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and work sample (as an artist or teacher) as attachments to rzurier(at)urbanmgt.com. Put “Art Cart Host” in the subject line. Applications that do not meet these requirements will be discarded.
Pay is $15 / hour
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused