To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Hampton VA Medical Center, is situated on an attractive waterfront campus, serves a 15-county area in eastern Virginia and a 10-county area in northeastern North Carolina. This area, commonly referred to as the Tidewater Area, has a Veteran population of more than 220,000 Veterans. The Medical Center is geographically positioned among one of the largest DoD active duty and military retiree populations in the United States. All branches of the military are represented in this region including Norfolk Naval Base, which is the world's largest Naval Station. Hampton's proximity to many attractions and mild winters offers year round opportunities for your leisure time. Rich with history, the medical center is proud to be the health care provider of choice for Hampton Roads Veterans.
Recruitment Incentive is NOT authorized.
Relocation Incentive is NOT authorized.
PCS (Permanent Change of Station) is NOT authorized.
EDRP (Education Debt Reduction Program) NOT authorized
This is an open continuous vacancy announcement and will remain opened until December 31, 2018 unless the positon is filled prior to the closing date. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received following the cut-off date of the 30th of each month. Applications received by the cut-off date will be given first consideration at that time.
Clinical Responsibilities (75-85% of time)
- Provide direct patient care specific to subspecialty in the inpatient and ambulatory clinic settings.
- Provide timely screening and resolution of consultations from other disciplines in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Provide a full range of therapeutic interventions specific to subspecialty to units/programs in the Medical Center to which they are assigned and have clinical privileges to practice including diagnostic assessment, medication evaluation and management.
- Order diagnostic tests and discriminate between normal and abnormal findings and makes appropriate treatment decisions.
- Documentation of care in the medical record in keeping with the bylaws of the Medical Center.
- Provide supervisory oversight for residents, fellows, medical students, NP/PA students, as appropriate, who are assigned to the Hematology and Oncology Services.
- Provide supervisory oversight of the clinical care on the inpatient service and ambulatory clinic of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants as appropriate.
- Participates effectively in team meetings and treatment planning conferences, and collaborates with multidisciplinary team members in a manner that enhances coordination of comprehensive patient care.
- Provide weekend and holiday coverage of the hematology/oncology consultation service in rotation with other staff hematologist/oncologist.
- Provide weekend and holiday coverage of the medical inpatient service in rotation at a frequency determined by the Chief of Medicine or Chief of Staff.
- Ensures that the practice of medicine is consistent with Joint Commission, CARF, VA policies and procedures, clinical practice guidelines, VISN standards, national statutes and regulations, medical record documentation, mandatory continuing education, and HIPPA policies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Staff and/or Service Chief, Medicine within clinical privileges to meet the needs of the organization.
- Involved in performance improvement and quality assurance initiatives.
- Provides leadership guidance and consultation to staff on units to which assigned.
- Is involved in the supervision and teaching of housestaff and other trainees assigned to unit as appropriate.
- Participate in house staff morning report on a weekly basis.
- Serves as a consultant to other medical center staff and trainees and assist in implementation of treatment plan as appropriate regarding their patients.
- Is responsible for timely completion of all clinical charting and documentation required by the Medical Center or healthcare system, as appropriate.
- Plans and oversees the completion of personal research programs that might further the educational and mission goals of the VA healthcare system.
Monday-Friday 8:00AM - 4:30PM
Financial Disclosure Report :
May be requested
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
Physicians, All Other
Conditions of Employment
You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
Designated and/or random drug testing required
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
You may be required to serve a probationary period
Subject to a background/security investigation
Must be proficient in written and spoken English
Incumbent needs to be mobile in that the job requires: sitting, walking, standing, and bending. Work requires trips daily from employee's work-site to other areas throughout the Medical Center
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
Basic Requirements :
United States Citizenship:
Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
Proficiency in spoken and written English.
Physical requirements outlined below.
Successfully completed a fellowship training program in Endocrinology and Board eligible or certified.
VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members:
Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractors can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search . Highly recommended the VA 10-2850 is submitted with application.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.