There’s never been a more exciting time to join United Airlines. We’re on a path towards becoming the best airline in the history of aviation. Our shared purpose – Connecting People, Uniting the World – is about more than getting people from one place to another. It also means that as a global company that operates in hundreds of locations around the world with millions of customers and tens of thousands of employees, we have a unique responsibility to uplift and provide opportunities in the places where we work, live and fly, and we can only do that with a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. Our careers include competitive benefits package aimed at keeping you happy, healthy, and well-traveled. From world-class benefits like 401k and space available travel privileges, United is truly a one-of-a-kind place to work. Are you ready to travel the world?
Starting pay of $18.51 per hour, competitive benefits that let you see the world
- Travel: Fly United for free - domestic and international – and bring your friends and family too!
- Overtime + Flexibility: Opportunities for overtime and ability to trade shifts to work a flexible schedule.
- Great Benefits: At United, we offer a competitive compensation package, with benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, accident and disability, employee assistance program, commuter, paid holidays, paid time off, 401(k) plan with employee and company contribution opportunities, pension, and flight privileges. Benefits are subject to a collective bargaining agreement
- Grow your career: Opportunity to learn and grow into leadership roles with over half of our leaders starting in the operation.
- Up to $37.82 / hour: Seniority based pay raises with additional compensation for shift differential and overtime
As a ramp service employee here’s what you’ll do:
As part of our baggage handling team, you will work up close and personal with the United fleet of aircraft to meet arriving and departing flights. You will be in constant motion as you take on many assignments like loading and unloading aircraft cargo, moving baggage to and from terminals, and receiving and dispatching aircraft. It’s a varied job that can be fun, rewarding and exhilarating, all at once.
What it’s like to work on the ramp:
- Safety is your number one priority, and you are always paying attention to details and to your surroundings
- You’ll be working planeside and outside in all kinds of weather and temperatures (we have fun treats like hot chocolate and popsicles when it’s really extreme!)
- Physical activity is a key component of this operation. You will be walking and standing most of the day and you will be lifting and transporting many items per flight – in some cases items weighing as much as 70 lbs.
- From time to time, overtime may be required to help us serve our customers
- You’ll use United technology to track bags and get your assignments.
- You and your coworkers work together to get it done, protect each other’s safety and have a good time
What are your responsibilities:
- Lift baggage, boxes, or cargo weighing up to 70 lbs. when loading/unloading aircraft, carts, and containers
- Loading/unloading may require lifting over 100 items for a single aircraft
- Push/pull loaded and empty carts and containers during loading/unloading operations
- Couple/uncouple carts and/or cargo container dollies
- Ascend/descend jet-way stairs while carrying baggage
- Bend/stoop and crawl to move and stack/unstack cargo in aircraft and containers
- Complete safety checklists for motorized equipment
- Drive and operate motorized equipment (e.g., conveyor belt)
- Read and interpret aircraft load sheets, checked baggage tags, and cargo labels
- Count baggage/cargo being uploaded/unloaded during operations
- Use signaling devices to communicate with co-workers or flight crew
- Ensure compliance with United and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations and policies
United values diverse experiences, perspectives, and we encourage everyone who meets the minimum qualifications to apply. While having the “desired” qualifications make for a stronger candidate, we encourage applicants who may not feel they check ALL of those boxes! We are always looking for individuals who will bring something new to the table!
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must possess a valid state-issued driver’s license
- Acceptable driving record
- Must pass a background check
- Must be eligible to acquire and maintain credentials vital for the position
- Position-specific clearances include but are not limited to FAA, TSA, Port Authority, U.S. Customs and U.S. Postal Service clearances
- Must pass a pre-placement physical abilities test, hearing and vision tests, and drug screen
- Available during day and night shifts, weekends, and holidays; mandatory overtime may be required based on operational need
- Able to read, write and speak English fluently
- Able to lift up to 70 lbs
- Able to perform a variety of physical activities including bending, stooping, climbing and working in tight spaces
- Work outdoors in all temperatures and weather conditions
- Work where there will be exposure to high noise levels
- Must NOT have lived outside of the United States in the past 5 years for any period longer than six months, with the exception of military duty or government-approved exceptions
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualifications
- Reliable, punctual attendance is a crucial function of the position
United Airlines is an equal opportunity employer. United Airlines recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions. Please contact [email protected] to request accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT