The Child Advocate develops and coordinates the programs for children involved with S.H.A.R.E. House, through established curriculum materials and other activities that are appropriate for the development of the child and or youth that has been exposed to family/domestic violence.
Responsibilities and Duties
- To perform assessments as appropriate on all children who enters the emergency shelter.
- To lead group support activities that help the child/youth to deal with anger, self esteem issues and isolation.
- To help the child/youth develop an understanding of family violence and understand that they are not to blame.
- To assist with the coordination of services within the community for those children/youth who needs additional services such as mental health, physical assessment and etc.
- To provide some parenting skills with the families..
- Provide support groups and activities for children who are in our outreach programs.
- Coordinate services with members of the community such as the boys and girls clubs.
- To research and stay abreast of current curriculum's specifically designed for children impacted by Domestic Violence.
- Immediately report any suspension of child abuse to supervisor and or Director.
- Conduct group sessions to aid in the adaptation of positive socialization skills.
- Serve as a Leader for direct activities for the children/youth in the shelter and outreach program.
- At times will also need to serve as a caretaker for the children in the shelter when activities are planned for the adults.
- Provide assistance to the children in areas of development related to education, socialization and positive behavioral development.
- To provide education awareness to the local school systems for all age groups.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
A bachelor’s degree and or an associates degree in early childhood development is required as well as a knowledge base in crisis intervention and domestic violence. Must have a knowledge base about children who have been in crisis. Must have experience in working with families and good listening skills. The ability to communicate with children at their level. Patience and perseverance are positive qualities/characteristics one must embody as well.
The child advocate must pass a comprehensive background check.
S.H.A.R.E House is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Part-time
- Child/Youth programs: 2 years (Required)